New Engine Needed after 2 years & 23k miles

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
rjdons85

New Engine Needed after 2 years & 23k miles

Post by rjdons85 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:07 am

Hi,

I have searched through this forum and online to find details of anyone else having to get a new engine on a <2 year old Discovery 5 2.0l... Is anyone aware of this as I am concerned about longer term ownership!?

I am no closer to knowing the issue, but after nearly two years of ownership and 23000 miles, I didn’t realise my engine was catastrophically failing!

On a drive to my local dealer last week to investigate an DEF no engine starts intermittent fault (diagnosed by AA assistance as a NOx is emission sensor fault) my car suddenly begin vibrating on higher speed accelerations (60-70mph). This exasperated significantly over the next five minutes to it sounding like the engine had something banging around inside then every warning code imaginable appeared and the vehicle shutdown with low a battery!!

After two days the dealer called to say there was metal in the engine oil and I would be getting a new engine under warranty!!

I am contacting them next week to get an update on the work needed/timeline (a new engine apparently takes 48 hrs labour). I am currently Hire Purchase with 3 yrs left and any advice on this is appreciated, I.e. money back, new car or on going issues...

Without being able to find anyone else having to get a new 2.0l engine my concern is any knock-on effects on the rest of car from a failing engine?!

I have roughly one year of warranty left, do Land Rover provide extended warranties on significant parts like an entire new engine?

Cheers
Robbie

Current: Discovery 5 2.0 SE (RR Velar loan car..)

Previous: Freelander 2 2.0 GS and Freelander 1 2.0 E