Windscreen blower not working.

All Discovery 5 related discussions
JohnShaft9

Post by JohnShaft9 »

I just thought I'd share this problem that I had the other week with the blower fan not working at any setting on my Discovery 19 plate with 19K on the clock. Now this happened once before in the past couple of months but this second one was in the icy weather causing the windows to mist up when travelling, which you could not do After I had contacted the local JLR service centre who only wanted to book the vehicle in , I found some information online that suggested that there were only three real reasons why this would stop working or why the blower would have failed.

1. Was the 40A linked fuse blowing
2. Was corrosion in the relay connectors between the fuse and the blower.
3. The blower motor itself.

I, as suggested first checked the fuse and transposed this with another, nothing. Then I had the idea of seeing if this had happened to anyone else on Youtube. Fortunately for me It had and the fix was going to be one those three that I found

After removing the battery cover and using a torch you can clearly see the blower impeller through the two small bulkhead cut outs. Mine was showing signs of rusting on the impeller shaft, not something i would have expected for the vehicles age but using a long thin stick I tried the impeller to see if it was moving. It wasn't. A little very light persuasion however did free this and on starting up the blower was found working again.. It seems to be fine now and a lot cheaper than the three hindered quid I had been quoted to replace with a new blower.

Hope this is useful to someone.