SIM card/connectivity

All Discovery 5 related discussions
Greyfox7

Post by Greyfox7 »

Hi all, I'm looking to get a SIM card for my Discovery 5. So I thought I would ask a few questions, 1. What sim/provider do you use?. 2. If you connect your phone via apple car play, does this do the same as the sim in the car. 3. What are the benefits of having a sim car for the vehicle, does it update maps etc? Any advice would be great, thank you, Dave.

TowDisco

Post by TowDisco »

I have just used a Vodaphone sim. It is a standard phone sim with free texts and calls, which is irrelevant, but also 51gb of data month. I was a bit dubious, as everyone says it has to be data only, but the vendor assured me it would work, I just had to put it in a phone first to activate it and then put it in the car.
Greyfox7

Post by Greyfox7 »

Thanks for the reply, is 51gb correct? I had a reply from Land Rover customer services that the car uses approximately 100mb an hour, and how much is your monthly sim cost?
TowDisco

Post by TowDisco »

I haggled on line and they got it down to £11 for 51GB on a 12 month contract. I already have a sim for my phone through Vodaphone with 160GB a month. I wanted about 50GB a month as I will also be using it in a hotspot in my caravan.
Greyfox7

Post by Greyfox7 »

Thanks for that Towdisco, there seems to be many out there, the one Land Rover suggest doesn’t get good reviews, I will keep searching, but I will also give ee a call as my phone is with them.
TowDisco

Post by TowDisco »

I use Vodaphone as it seems to have pretty good coverage. My wife has had several different companies and 99% of the time I will have connection when she doesn't, but if you find good coverage with EE then that is probably best for you.
Greyfox7

Post by Greyfox7 »

I bought a 10gb SIM card from EE, worked straight away, and I can gift data from my unlimited phone data.
WmDisco

Post by WmDisco »

I think mine was Vodaphone. Data SIM only for 2 year fixed capacity - i.e. no monthly fee (just a one-off payment - seem to think it was less than £50). Car is now 4 years old and on my second SIM. Works fine - no problems. Suggest you do a search on internet for Data only SIMs.
WmDisco

Post by WmDisco »

Correction to my previous post - it was O2 as follows: 1 O2 Pre MBB 4G 12GB Loaded Sim £40.00 - That was from my 2021 order for the card that is currently still in use in the car