Discovery 5 Brakes

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
OJAY

Post by OJAY »

I’m interested in opinion here. One of our cars is a Discovery 5. It’s 2 years old, has done 10,000 miles and we love it - it’s the latest in a long line of Land Rover cars that we have owned, mostly with no problems at all. So, the miles are low, but not that low, we have other cars to potter around in as well. The brakes recently started to judder awfully and so the car went in to the Land Rover dealer yesterday. I was less than impressed to be told that the brakes are warped owing to heavy corrosion and need to be replaced all round at a cost of GBP1300. When challenged that this is ridiculous for a two year old car, we were told directly that it was our fault for not having accumulated a higher mileage. I smell a vague waft of BS and have read elsewhere that the brakes used by LR are of very poor quality metal and so prone to corrosion warping - that strikes me as something not being fit for purpose and so should be covered by warranty. I have a number of other fun cars - including an AM and a Ferrari - which do maybe 5,000 miles a year each and never throw up an issue like this. Any thoughts welcome.

Kevmunday

Post by Kevmunday »

Cheap tata steel, replace with pagio or apt brake discs
DRW

Post by DRW »

Hi Ojay

Just read your post with interest, I can feel a quiz coming on, can anyone list another vehicle manufacturer that if you do not do the correct mileage, then it is the owners fault for any Brake Disc corrosion ?? What other motor manufacturer blames driving style to answer the issue of oil dilution and oil changes at 4000 plus miles, throw in the driving style being blamed for DPF issues ??

This is not just to pick JLR up on this, it will be interesting to see if any owners have had issues similar to JLR ??? with other vehicle manufacturers 🤔🤔🤔

DRW
ellior

Post by ellior »

Hi. I’ve just had a similar issue with my local dealer. The vehicle as done 37,000milesand is dealer serviced. It went in for a service today and they called me to say that I need new discs and pads to front and rear at a cost of £900. So I’m waiting for a call from the service manager to discuss. Last service was done in the last 10,000miles and no note that the brakes were wearing that bad.
DRW

Post by DRW »

Hi Elinor

If your Disco was serviced 10,000 miles ago how is it due again ? Or was it over 12 months ago ?

DRW
The highlander

Post by The highlander »

Replacing the discs and pads all round seems to be a particular problem with the D5. My car went in for its first MOT at 22k miles with an advisory that it needed new discs and pads all round. They quoted £1650. That said, the dealership were right and also wrong, yes there was a lip to the discs, but nothing too drastic and I would had about 10k miles before they became a problem. I wouldn’t like to accuse them of drumming up business after a pandemic, but ....... let’s say I am not surprised. Brakes are always one of these in indefinable, opinion led things. I am just a bit annoyed they put it down as an advisory.

Checked with a LR Indy £886, using Britparts.

Checked with another main dealership re just replacing pads £506 front, £365 rears and they wouldn’t do them if they discovered the discs needed replacing.

All in all brakes is a bit of a cash cow.
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

I recently had mine dealer serviced, informed rear brake pads are low, discs are fine. (MY2017 30K miles) No wear indicator alarm as yet. I think a figure same as above quoted. It doesn't look too difficult of a job, especially with the info available on youtube and also a popular LR forum detailing how to put the handbrake into service mode. So will probably give it a go.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
DJC79

Post by DJC79 »

I had the same issue (amongst a lot of other issues) after only a year of ownership. The dealer replaced the lot under warranty. The car had covered about 12k miles at the time from memory.
The highlander

Post by The highlander »

Yep, LR will entertain a warranty claim up to roughly a year, thereafter you tend to be on your own.
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Replaced the rear brake pads the other day. Quite an easy job. Pads cost around £45. It took me a couple of hours certainly not rushing. How they can justify £365 For that I don't know. I would imagine a garage could do them in less that a hour easily. No special tools required just the ability to put it in service mode.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.