Discovery 5 – Dead after 25 miles

All Discovery 5 related discussions
andrewe

Post by andrewe »

Picked up a new Discovery 5 at 12pm yesterday - dealer pre-register, originally registered on 27/1/20, 10 miles on the clock – to replace my 2017 D5.

Vehicle died with complete electrical power failure after 25 miles, blocking a car park entrance; fun times standing in the rain hearing public opinions of JLR reliability while waiting for LR Assistance AA van to arrive, dealer having said 'There's nothing we can do, call LR Assistance'

Car jump-started, agreed to drive it back to dealer with AA following 'just in case': failed at 40mph on dual carriageway, with load of warnings of brake, gearbox, engine, steering, etc. failure before all screens went blank again and it coasted to a halt with AA van behind (fortunately, as no hard shoulder, and not even power for hazard lights).

Jumped again and limped into a car-park to await recovery to dealer. Five hours later truck arrived, car was jumped again and failed once more being driven onto truck. Got back to dealer at 8.15pm, where service people had stayed behind to receive it and had loan car. Got home at 10.30pm in nice shiny Disco Sport. Close, but no cigar.

Going to reject the D5, as won't feel confident/safe driving it. Will always be waiting for everything to go blank.

This was going to be my sixth LR, but confidence very shaken - alternatives?

DJC79

Post by DJC79 »

I had many an issue with mine too and rejected it in the end. I now have a Volvo XC90 T8. Fantastic car and so far so good!
andrewe

Post by andrewe »

Turns out to have been an earth strap in the boot, not fitted properly in production and the subject of a dealer bulletin. Should have been fixed before sale, but seems no – now sorted (touch wood). Got the car back a week after initially picking it up, and JLT head office looking into the whole dealer bulletin/fix thing, and the after (lack of) service.