Sensor Fault

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
timmyfitz

Post by timmyfitz »

I am having an ongoing problem with my Italian registered Disco 5 (2018) Within a few minutes of driving almost all the warning lights come on telling me forward detection not available, stability control, abs, cruise control etc all not available.

It's now been in four times and a total of about 25 days.

1st time - they said software update, didn't fix and went straight back in
2nd time - they said insect covering sensor 2 mins after driving away the lights are all back on.
3rd time - it was a faulty sensor - didn't fix after being with them just over a week
4th time - was told it another sensor, that it had been fixed, after 9 days with them Yesterday I went to collect my newly fixed car that they had supposedly been testing for two days and all the lights came on as the engineer drove it round to me. I have left the car with them again but now getting really annoyed.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and if so what was the solution?

I love the car but these faults are really annoying.

Thanks in advance

Tim

Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Hi Timmy ive not heard of this in any forum. It seems you are pretty unique.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
cwch60

Post by cwch60 »

Hi - This may be irrelevant but it sounds like a very similar fault which I had on my Range Rover Sport (2007). I think that it was referred to as the Christmas Tree of Death due to the way the dashboard lit up with warnings and basically, most functions were disabled leaving it in limp home mode. From what I remember from online research, in most instances it was disruption to the signal bus caused by silly stop light faults (such as an OEM bulb being fitted) or just stop light failure. There was no indication of cause in all the error messages and the dealership couldn't find it through their interrogation of the system. After leaving the car with them for extended periods and several times, I was at a similar level of frustration to yourself. Eventually, I was recommended to take it to a very experienced local independent Land Rover/Range Rover expert (Ian Barclay in Rock Ferry, Wirral) who actually had more capable interrogation equipment than the dealership. In my case, the fault turned out to be an engine sensor which, principally due to its location, cost almost £1000 to replace but, once done, the fault never appeared again.

In conclusion, it was a fault in system communications, fluctuations in which could cause everything to shut down.

Sorry if this is no more than a useless anecdote but hope that you can find someone who can look "outside the box" to find your fault.
timmyfitz

Post by timmyfitz »

Thanks to both of you for replying, I've been told they have found the issue, are fixing it now and will test again. If it is fixed I'll report on what they have told me has been done, hopefully helping anyone in the future.

It seems that unless the computer told them what was exactly wrong they were really just guessing which is a real shame.

The Italian engineer jokingly blamed British engineering - knowing I was British :)
timmyfitz

Post by timmyfitz »

I collected the car yesterday and have driven it without error for about 120km. The problem appears to have been fixed and Landrover tells me it was due to a very slightly muddy/soiled wheel bearing causing a small vibration, unnoticeable to me and obviously the engineers on the previous four visits.

I'm a farmer and so the vehicle spends more time off-road than most however I also a car fan and so it gets cleaned regularly. Either way, happy it seems to have been fixed.
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Not sure how that would cause the problem but we live and learn. If that is the fault (not surgesting otherwise) it demonstrates how difficult it is to fault find this kind of problem when something that you would imagine was totally unconnected to the original fault. Anyhow good to hear its sorted.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
oilydavid

Post by oilydavid »

Had the same problem.. dealer had car since 18 November Land Rover Engineering have said today fault is due to software problems and the new software will be available in February 2020!!!! As I have a Disco V6 loan car I am not bothered..I am a Land Rover pensioner renting in retirement so luckily have not spent my own money on it.

Light used to go off on restart but come on under braking, but not in any way one could repeat. Fault code was uninterpretable by Land Rover