Fuel / exhaust smell in cabin

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
bobdisco

Post by bobdisco »

On most journeys when coming to a stop, with or without air recirculation on, we're still getting exhaust smell in the cabin (raised another post about this but didn't get reaction as had said I'd follow up after it'd been into dealer).

The dealer are struggling to reproduce, still. I've been in a number of times and sure enough struggled, but have provided more accurate ways to reproduce - even been there and have staff experience the smell (although now they claim it was just a smell they couldn't ascertain rather than exhaust per se).

I'm posting in hope someone else is experiencing this, or comes across it. We have a 20MY Si4 (Petrol). We have had the same engine in a cover car, it had the same issue. We are now in a TD6, also has the same issue. All MY20s.

If anyone that hasn't experienced it is able to test run, here are some steps which tend to always result in the issue:

1. Run the car with Temp set to Low. This forces air recirculation on.
2. Drive for a period of time (20-30 mins should do it).
3. Before coming to a stop, have fan set to half speed (about 5/6 pips), and turn temp to 16 degs (this should turn recirculation off).
4. Remain with car running, smell usually occurs within 10-20s of stopping.
5. If smell doesn't occur, give the car a good hard rev (7k in Si4, 5-6k in Td6), then wait 10-20s to see if smell occurs. Repeat.

We've basically been told that it's costing them money to look at the car, and they're not being paid to, so since they can't see a visible leak that they'll have JLR tech come out to the car, and if they can't fault it on that occasion then I'll need to pick it up with customer services. I can't see how that'll go in my favour "Has it been to a dealer to investigate" "Yes, they couldn't fault it" "Bye bye"

If you did/can experience the issue in the past, any ideas?

Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Yes I've seen a few post about a smell but mainly a burning smell. Have you posted on the disco5 forum might get a better responce?
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

He has. Still trying to get to be top poster!
bobdisco

Post by bobdisco »

Have done Craig as know that one's a little more active, got a couple of responses and PMs that may help. Thought I'd post here too since it exists and some members here might not be set up over there.
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

I thought i recognised the tag.

Another post Jim.🤣🤣🤣
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
CRC@LandRover

Post by CRC@LandRover »

bobdisco wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:39 pm On most journeys when coming to a stop, with or without air recirculation on, we're still getting exhaust smell in the cabin (raised another post about this but didn't get reaction as had said I'd follow up after it'd been into dealer).

The dealer are struggling to reproduce, still. I've been in a number of times and sure enough struggled, but have provided more accurate ways to reproduce - even been there and have staff experience the smell (although now they claim it was just a smell they couldn't ascertain rather than exhaust per se).

I'm posting in hope someone else is experiencing this, or comes across it. We have a 20MY Si4 (Petrol). We have had the same engine in a cover car, it had the same issue. We are now in a TD6, also has the same issue. All MY20s.

If anyone that hasn't experienced it is able to test run, here are some steps which tend to always result in the issue:

1. Run the car with Temp set to Low. This forces air recirculation on.
2. Drive for a period of time (20-30 mins should do it).
3. Before coming to a stop, have fan set to half speed (about 5/6 pips), and turn temp to 16 degs (this should turn recirculation off).
4. Remain with car running, smell usually occurs within 10-20s of stopping.
5. If smell doesn't occur, give the car a good hard rev (7k in Si4, 5-6k in Td6), then wait 10-20s to see if smell occurs. Repeat.

We've basically been told that it's costing them money to look at the car, and they're not being paid to, so since they can't see a visible leak that they'll have JLR tech come out to the car, and if they can't fault it on that occasion then I'll need to pick it up with customer services. I can't see how that'll go in my favour "Has it been to a dealer to investigate" "Yes, they couldn't fault it" "Bye bye"

If you did/can experience the issue in the past, any ideas?
Good Morning Bobdisco

Thank you for your post.

I am deeply concerned to learn of your comments, and I thank you for bringing this to our attention.

If you require your concerns to be escalated within the Customer Experience Centre, please do not hesitate to contact me via PM with the following information:

Your Vehicle Identification Number
You personal contact details
Details of the Retailer you have visited, and the outcome of your visit

Many Thanks

Dan - Land Rover UK
Chrisd1234

Post by Chrisd1234 »

Hi. I have this same issue. Did you ever find a fix for it?
Many thanks, Chris
Cujimmi

Post by Cujimmi »

Recently bought 2017 Disco 5 noticed exhaust/fuel smell in cabin most noticeable on cold start, apparently known about issue. Garage diagnosed at second attempt is hole in crossover pipe part number lr038751. Hope that helps. May also effect other models that share this part.