DEF Fluid usage

All Discovery 5 related discussions
MDJ

Post by MDJ »

I bought a 2018 Disco HSE LUX with the TD6 engine in October. I've put just about 7100 miles on it since then. Very impressed by the vehicle overall - handling, comfort, etc are a step up on my LR4 (which I kept as well). I haven't taken it off road yet, but will in the spring. The only thing that has been unexpected is the rate of usage for the DEF fluid. I buy the DEF fluid in 2 gallon containers and when the warning comes up, I add the 2 gal. At 7100 miles I'm getting the message to add more... for the third time. That will effectively mean I've added 6 gallons in 7100 miles. That seems unusually high to me.

I drive mostly on the highway and average 26-28mpg pretty consistently. Is this usage of DEF fluid normal?

mordred1973

Post by mordred1973 »

I think the "average" usage is about 500miles per litre, mine isn't far off that, bit more when towing.
Sundorne

Post by Sundorne »

Well I’ve got the opposite problem. My Discovery 5 2.0 HSE appears to use no Ad blue. It currently says refill in 5778 miles but it’s been stuck on that for weeks regardless of the mileage I do. Any thoughts?
Davidls

Post by Davidls »

At that sort of residual mileage it looks like it’s been recently filled/topped up?
Mine stayed around that for several weeks after JLR did a free top-up but has eventually started to come down again. Took several hundred miles before it started counting down again.
Sundorne

Post by Sundorne »

Thanks for that useful information. Hopefully all is well.