Detachable Towbar info - Dealer & Factory Fit

All Discovery 5 related discussions
Stevie mc

Post by Stevie mc »

I’ve just had the manual detachable towbar fitted by the dealer to my 2018 HSE Lux.

I’m of the opinion that the wrong bumper cover has been ordered / fitted.

When you look at the owners handbook it gives clear pictures of the towbar covers for both electrically deployable and detachable / no towbar.
It also gives pictures and instructions for the use of the recovery eye.

The cover now fitted to mine has the wee cap in the middle at the top to gain access to screw the separate recovery eye into (fitted on the deployable one) ..... but there is no separate recovery eye or threaded receiver behind the cover.

Just looking for either a part number from back of the cover or a picture of what’s on yours.

Stevie

C2614620-BFA5-4AC7-BAFD-256B59D83264.jpeg

CE8B7562-2770-4D0A-B50C-B1DD9BA25F0D.jpeg

32B99735-A736-450C-849A-D50552AD153B.jpeg

AB12D210-F07A-4A43-8B7A-AAF818630B75.jpeg

jimbg

Post by jimbg »

There are quite a few with towbars on the other Disc05 forum, might be worth asking there?
Davidls

Post by Davidls »

I have a factory fitted detachable towbar and have the smooth infil with the small detachable section at the top. Never looked behind it to see if there’s anything actually there though.
kits80

Post by kits80 »

I had mine fitted 9 months after having the car and mine was changed too. I have the original as a souvenir in my garage. Every car I know that has the detachable tow bar has the same grey piece with the small detachable section so it is the correct one.
kits80

Post by kits80 »

Stevie mc wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:45 pm I’ve just had the manual detachable towbar fitted by the dealer to my 2018 HSE Lux.

I’m of the opinion that the wrong bumper cover has been ordered / fitted.

As mentioned above I had the towbar fitted 9 months after having the car and they made the same change to mine as yours. Following my post above I have just taken off the new cover they fitted (with the piece that comes off at the top) and tried to fit the old cover but it won't work because of the towbar mechanism.

The pic from mine is below showing what is on my car now and what was on before I had the towbar fitted.

IMG_0877.JPG

Stevie mc

Post by Stevie mc »

kits80 ....
Thank you for taking the time to try out the original cover. I would have tried that myself had the dealer not kept it. :roll:

Do you have the bits in the picture below with yours?
Any chance you could post a picture of the contents of the stowage tray for the hitch in the boot?

The following bits are missing and I suspect the LR Techie that fitted it has thought they were packaging bungs / covers again all are referenced in the manual.

1. Blanking Plug (stops dirt getting into the tow hitch receiver when not in use)
2. Sleeve (triggers the spring to allow the key to be removed for stowage
3. Lock cover (stops dirt / salt getting into the lock)

1590276A-39D4-4EFA-AE69-DBC385861F22.jpeg

kits80

Post by kits80 »

Stevie mc wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:53 pm
Do you have the bits in the picture below with yours?
Yes, I have all those parts. Pics are below.

The lock cover was on when I picked the car up (after having the towbar fitted) so I've always used that. The other two parts (1 and 2) have just sat in the tray as I had no idea what they were and I'm not a manual reading type of person. Lesson learned from this !!

I can't believe they haven't supplied all the parts to you, and they didn't even give you back the grey panel that they exchanged. Doesn't sound great service.

IMG_2401.JPG

IMG_2400.JPG

Stevie mc

Post by Stevie mc »

Kits80,
Thanks again for taking the time to get pictures.
Like I said, I think they’ve binned the parts thinking they were packaging.

It’s looking like the panel might be right enough although it’s odd the manual shows it differently as the LR manuals are usually pretty detailed and accurate.

Stevie