Visit to Solihull factory

Forum for Land Rover Customer Relations
Dodlestonian

Post by Dodlestonian »

I went round the Solihull factory yesterday on one of their experience tours with a couple of friends.
Had a great time. The folks running the experience centre were brilliant.
They say it takes 72 hours to build new discovery which shares the track with Range Rovers, and a new car rolls off the line every 83 seconds! It was great watching them drive away.
I was told I could watch my new car getting built so I immediately arranged that with a great guy called Adam in the visitor centre, those guys were excellent too, despite the fact that by the time we got to the centre it was going home time for them they really made us feel welcome. Adam emailed me this morning, my new disco is hitting the line at 6 am Wednesday 5th December. He's arranged for us to get there at 9 am to watch the marrying up of running gear to body, fitting of seats, putting doors on etc.
I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing my car being born.

I told Adam I'll go down the day before and stay in a local hotel so I can get there for 9 and he is sending a car to pick us up and take us to the factory and drop us off when it's all over.
I don't think the way we were treated is a one off, and I'm only buying a disco, not a top of the line range rover autobiography. IMHO these people need a pat on the back so here it is. :D

Davidls

Post by Davidls »

Wow, what an excellent thing to be able to do, you’re very lucky.
Dodlestonian

Post by Dodlestonian »

I learned a lot about the disco that I didn't know before.
There's 14 self threading bolts holding body to running gear.
Factory is amazing, our guide said they have more robots there than in any other car making plant in the UK across all of the makes.

Said if the robots encounter a prob they play a little tune and a guy comes to take a look. He already knows what part of the plant has issues before he arrives by the tune that they play.

Also said there's one place there where robots can't do the job so the robots pass the guys the tools as they need them. We didn't see that bit though :-)

Of course I can't guarantee that all of this is true but that's what we were told among heaps of other things :)
Davidls

Post by Davidls »

How you manage to arrange the factory visit in the first place? Sounds like something i’d Very much like to do.
Dodlestonian

Post by Dodlestonian »

I just googled "Landrover Solihull factory tour"
There's the cheap one that I went on for £49 per person
And a VIP tour for £325 for two people.

They also have off road course there and a shop it's all in the same place.
Three is a lot of stuff in the shop but not much that I wanted. You can get to the shop online too I believe but if you go on any of the experience's they give you a 10% discount voucher so it's best to buy after you've been or get it at the time.

There's virtually unlimited tea and biscuits on the cheap tour but I think you get a pepper lunch on the VIP tour.

I have to book the VIP tour to get to watch my disco being built - you don't get it for free