Real Time Traffic

All Discovery 5 related discussions
Chickman

Post by Chickman »

Hi everyone 1st time poster so be gentle! Does anyone know if there is a way to have the real time traffic information display minutes of delay? At the moment it only seems able to show level of traffic as in light, heavy etc along with location and distance. All other Nav systems I have had previously always give delay minutes to help you choose an alternative route.
Thanks
18my Discovery TD6, HSE Luxury , Indus Silver, Dynamic Pack (int&ext), HUD, 22in 5025 wheels, black roof rails.

Woodenman

Post by Woodenman »

I can't get mine to show any traffic at all....it just no traffic info available... grateful for small mercies and all that....
Magpie

Post by Magpie »

Have you bought a data SIM card? You need not o enable all the connected services (for Nav features)
Woodenman

Post by Woodenman »

Oh, ok thanks.

I just assumed it was like my other cars, that give you traffic info for free...with no sim required.
Good ol' LR
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

Which car gave it to you for free?
Woodenman

Post by Woodenman »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what this system does, but my BMW M5 gives me traffic updates, delay times, re routes etc etc for nothing. So does my Merc and I'm pretty sure the Cayman does too, though I never use the Nav much as I don't go far in it.

I've never bought a sim in my life to get traffic updates.
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

I think you will find that 3 years RTC were included in the price of the car. Certainly the 5 series estate I owned did.

After 3 years ( like the map updates ) you have to pay.
Magpie

Post by Magpie »

You do get Connected Services (including Traffic) for free for 3 years.. but JLR does not provide the data connection..(apart from USA), frustrating I know... so you need to buy a data SIM card... I bought mine from Amazon..

Apologies if posted twice, “submit” button froze..
Ian c

Post by Ian c »

Hi yes sim is required but hay ho when we picked our first edition up it was never mentioned ive had merc vw audi volvo not had a problem or had to purchase sim but good old landrover you do .
We drove to spain few weeks after purchase as couldn't work out why we new nothing about route untill on our return as jlr what was up with systems they said have you put a sim in i asked am i a mind reader was never mentioned at hand over uve to be up on there poor system. But still love the car good job with its incredible depreciation.
Woodenman

Post by Woodenman »

Right...This is all news to me......

So it appears I need to buy a sim for traffic updates. I must say, I think I've owned cars after the three years and still had this. I'm sure I have. It's ridiculous it's not available at least for the three years though.

So this SIM. What is it I need and where does it go please?
Presume I need a data contract for it and so any views on how much data and actually, is it even worth it.

Every day's a school day with this Landy