Spare wheel theft

Forum for Land Rover Customer Relations
jon bradley

Post by jon bradley »

On my 2017 discovery, I discovered that the cable holding the spare wheel had been cut by persons unknown, and the spare /wheel/tyre had been taken, only found out when I had a puncture and of course required the spare. According to many sources Jaguar/Landrover are well aware of this design fault/issue in that the actual cable is exposed and vulnerable to theft, and that many thefts have indeed taken place over some time, and been reported back to the manufacturers without so far any indication of modification

A security plate is available from other sources to minimise this risk, but at point of vehicle sale no advice is indicated or offered despite the knowledge by the manufacturer or its agents of a weakness in the security of the vehicle parts and or accessories. This means in layman terms that despite the knowledge by the suppliers that a reported security problem exists, means that an essential safety item can be stolen, no rectification, modification, improvement is indicated,, meaning that the loss, if any is all yours, ie currently over £1000.

In offering a vehicle and its accessories for sale, the suppliers have a duty of care to inform buyers of any proven fault or issue, so that rectification may take place, and in allowing a proven fault to exist for a number of years indicates a cavalier attitude and irresponsibility that beggars belief . If any others wish to take this further, please advise me. Security of a vehicle and its accessories lies with an owner in protection of his vehicle and any insurance claim, to minimise theft. Jaguar/Landrover in leaving an open door to theft by failing to rectify a proven fault are jointly and severally liable for any claim for loss

jimbg

Post by jimbg »

There is now a plate from JLR, check on Topix for info.

Title N071v4 - Loss of Spare Wheel

Global reference N071v4

Navigation path Bulletins Field Actions

Publication date 03-May-2018 06:38:46
CRC@LandRover

Post by CRC@LandRover »

jon bradley wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:02 am On my 2017 discovery, I discovered that the cable holding the spare wheel had been cut by persons unknown, and the spare /wheel/tyre had been taken, only found out when I had a puncture and of course required the spare. According to many sources Jaguar/Landrover are well aware of this design fault/issue in that the actual cable is exposed and vulnerable to theft, and that many thefts have indeed taken place over some time, and been reported back to the manufacturers without so far any indication of modification

A security plate is available from other sources to minimise this risk, but at point of vehicle sale no advice is indicated or offered despite the knowledge by the manufacturer or its agents of a weakness in the security of the vehicle parts and or accessories. This means in layman terms that despite the knowledge by the suppliers that a reported security problem exists, means that an essential safety item can be stolen, no rectification, modification, improvement is indicated,, meaning that the loss, if any is all yours, ie currently over £1000.

In offering a vehicle and its accessories for sale, the suppliers have a duty of care to inform buyers of any proven fault or issue, so that rectification may take place, and in allowing a proven fault to exist for a number of years indicates a cavalier attitude and irresponsibility that beggars belief . If any others wish to take this further, please advise me. Security of a vehicle and its accessories lies with an owner in protection of his vehicle and any insurance claim, to minimise theft. Jaguar/Landrover in leaving an open door to theft by failing to rectify a proven fault are jointly and severally liable for any claim for loss
Hi jon bradley,

Thank you for your post.

I am deeply sorry to learn of this and can confirm your comments have been forwarded to the relevant department.

If I can assist in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks,

Chand - Land Rover UK
jon bradley

Post by jon bradley »

I have now had a response from the dealer who informs me that Jaguar/Landrover have refused a goodwill gesture to replace the stolen wheel and tyre which leaves me with no choice but to consider making a legal claim. I have no doubt that there are others in a similar position who may wish to consider a joint claim
IJP

Post by IJP »

This is a factory recall item, JLR’s defence is it will have attempted to contact you to fit the plate.... if you Car was built before Feb 2018 it should have had the recall since then....
Davidls

Post by Davidls »

It’s laziness on behalf of JLR. We bought a Jan 2018 manufactured 18MY HSE D5 and informed the dealer before we collected that Topix showed the wheel theft campaign hadn’t been applied. I was told it would be. When we collected the car I asked if it was done, was told by the Service Manager that it was, that he had checked with the engineer that had fitted it. I took their word for it.
Topix still showed the campaign outstanding after a few weeks, initially I was told that Topix had not been updated. I checked again after a few weeks and it was still outstanding so I actually went and looked under the car and the plate wasn’t there. Checked with the dealer by email again who told me it was done, I sent them a picture and they had it back the next day all apologetic. Shocking service and lies.
I was lucky, didn’t lose anything to JLR incompetence.
I have also purchased the plate that Ray makes and ships, it’s so much better than the JLR one, so now I have two plates.
The highlander

Post by The highlander »

I have no love for the firm, but in my opinion you cant blame JLR for the theft of the spare wheel nor is it an issue of vicarious liability. Carrying it on a stage further, if your car is stolen because a thief has hijacked the electronic key code for your car.... there’s also plenty of other examples where you could claim inadequate security didn’t stop a theft from suit cases to trailers, anyway, you get the idea.

The difficulty has been documented and JLR will claim they are reacting to the problem, not caused by them, you are then left arguing if it should be restrospectively applied to earlier cars. I mean good luck, but I feel it’s a lost cause that you are throwing time and money at and won’t be resolved in your favour. This has been something that’s happened on Disco 3 and 4’s hence why owners used to buy an Uncle Rays spare wheel protector. A lot of people were like you, were annoyed and out of pocket, but failed to progress any claim against JLR.
Labbix

Post by Labbix »

Strange that JLR doesn’t think all of its customers are equal, as here we don’t even get the protection from JLR.
Mr J

Post by Mr J »

It seems that there was a couple of modifications made to the winch - th original had 2 points of vunerability - it is covered in this video on youtube by Powerful UK Ltd

carswelliasin

Post by carswelliasin »

unfortunately I have just become a victim of this as well. Took my Disco 5 in for other work to be told the spare was missing so no idea when it went in the last few months. The dealer told me this is a common problem and there is now a fix although how effective it is I don't know based on reading other posts on this forum. While I was at the dealer I met a Disco 4 owner who told me he was written to by his dealer 4 years ago advising of this problem and advising to get the plate fitted, so my queries are;

why didn't JLR fix the problem in the Disco V
why didn't JLR or my dealer advise me of the problem (even if I had to pay for the fix) as I would have preferred a £70 bill as opposed to a £1300 one!!

I appreciate the "fix" doesn't guarantee a solution but I understand its no longer a 10 minute steal so would put off a lot of people.

I have spoken to JLR customer services but the line appears to be the same i.e. not our issue. Come of JLR do the right thing and at least write to all Disco 5 owners warning them of the issue and a potential fix.