Would your buy a Discovery 5?

All Discovery 5 related discussions
DeckB

Post by DeckB »

I've owned a '17 for almost a year and have had no problems with it.

Ian c

Post by Ian c »

Ive had my issues with mine but love the bloody thing and most likely buy another for my sins havnt driven anything more comfortable and relaxing
Ian c

Post by Ian c »

Ive had mine over a year got tempromental auto boot which shuts on you few oter niggles which jlr cant fix but team valley Landrover sorted like nothing was an issue. But as to buying 1 love the bloody thing performance comfort cant find a contender
VeryDisco5

Post by VeryDisco5 »

Having rejected the diesel DS last year due to oil dilution on the Ingenium engine I think I am warming to this car. So, "yes", I would buy one (only the 240HP SD4) and actually plan to test drive an SE next week. The DS service intervals really got under my skin because this was one of the main reasons I bought it in the first place. But now I understand the causes of the issue pretty well and believe that the D5 S4 performs perfectly in this respect (though not the discontinued TDV6 while SD6 is an unknown). What I need to know is how practical such a big vehicle would be for manoeuvring around town and the tight country lanes: also the turning circle could be an issue - 1 metre wider than the DS and 2m more than my current car. Then there's the other half to consider.
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

I think you get used to the larger vehicle on the road. The only problems is the small car parking spaces they can be a real pain.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
Phaeton

Post by Phaeton »

Had mine since last June. Been back to dealer 13 times and is now with them again (hasn't been touched in a full week since we dropped it off).
I've had the following problems since driving it out of the showroom:

1. Passenger door mirror glass fell out whilst driving
2. Roof strip came off whilst driving
3. Start/Stop has never worked, other than for two weeks after the first effort to repair it
4. Rear centre headrest won't fold electronically (not a major issue, but it's never worked, they can't make fix it and it's a pain when the kids put it up!)
5. Reversing camera fails to work intermittetly
6. ALL parking sensors occasionally activate (at full volume) for no reason
7. Air con needs a re-charge (after 14,000 miles?); I suspect this is a failure rather than just a re-charge as I've never known a car this new to need one
8. Occasionally driver seat belt warning light comes on, with the audible warning, despite it being secured properly
9. Engine warning light ALWAYS on
10. Not a vehicle issue, but PLEASE why don;t they put more AdBlue in when filling it up? We're back to the dealer so many times it's crazy
11. Screen decides not to come on at all for, but only occasionally

After the many times the vehicle has been back to the dealer these problems have either returned or become worse.

The one I am most worried about is the engine warning light; if that's on we're not supposed to be driving it. If we do, and damage occurs, it'll be our responsibility.

I'm just bored of all these problems - it's an HSE Luxury and as a first-time JLR owner I wasn't expecting to have these issues when spending so much on a car. If it's not repaired, properly, before we get it back they can keep it. It'll be a challenge rejecting the vehicle, but no more of a challenge than ownership.

It's a real shame; I love driving it and it's perfect for the family BUT the shine is taken off by unreliability and that damn engine warning light. There's plenty of them about with the same or similar issues, JLR can't fix it seems, and I'm worried about residual values as a result.

Fingers crossed it'll be back home soon and working just fine, but I'm not holding out much hope.
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Hi Phaeton sounds like you have been fortunate and got a good one.🤣🤣
If I had had the problems you list I think I would also be looking at a rejection. You wouldn't be the 1st. Might be wrong but I believe the HSE LUX seems to be more buggy than other trim levels.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
mordred1973

Post by mordred1973 »

Have to say I was about to buy a very nice looking 2017 HSE Luxury TD6, until I started reading this forum. I know in general people who have suffered issues with their car tent to be on forums, and all new cars with tech in them appear to be suffering software glitches (XC90 new XC60 forums is no different). The bigger issue to me is the oil dilution, having run a 2013 XC60 for 5.5 years and 100,000 miles, it's only visits to the dealer have been once a year for the 18000 mile services. It has done a mix of a lot of short journeys and longer ones at weekends and holidays, without any DPF issues. Is the early service problem on-going and affecting all TD6 engines? I note the engine has been discontinued in this form for the UK market, is the new more powerful engine mechanically different? Looks like I am back to the drawing board to look for a large SUV with enough grunt for towing a big caravan :-(
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

Plenty on the other Disc05 forum that explains the issue and probably not such a big problem after all.
mordred1973

Post by mordred1973 »

really? on the other forum I looked on people appear to be even more negative over the early and frequent oil changes, one having had 2 in 7000 miles and he drives 30k a year, so assume he isn't doing too many short journey's.