Rear Storage

All Discovery 5 related discussions
Darkwolf

Post by Darkwolf »

Hello,

New owner in Canada. Just picked mine up the other day. I love it, however, in transferring things over from my old vehicle I found there seems to be a lack of rear storage. I have the tow package, but I don't keep the hitch in unless towing or I would destroy my shins. None of the compartments in the back have enough room for a tow hitch or much in the way of tools. I was looking at the large cavity in the rear wall on the drivers side, which shouldn't interfere with the third row seats. Has anyone come up with a solution that fits that cavity? What do the rest of you do for tools, tie downs, etc.?

Thanks!

Craigp

Post by Craigp »

I keep all my junk under the flap in the boot floor. Where the screw mechanism is for lowering the spare wheel.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
Darkwolf

Post by Darkwolf »

Mine has a bunch of styrofoam in there, a funnel and some stuff already, so there is very little room to put anything else in, definitely not a trailer hitch.

Thanks!
5imon

Post by 5imon »

No foam in mine. Funnel was in glove box. Under the flap in the boot is just a cavity. Too small for much stuff TBH.
DeckB

Post by DeckB »

I have the styrofoam insert too, but there's nothing in it. It looks very specific to certain items, so would you mind taking a picture of what you have.

I'm in the US and have the tow-package - and yes, the 'boot' is smaller than I expected.

Thanks.
Darkwolf

Post by Darkwolf »

Here is a pic of mine. Yes, it clearly looks like it's meant to hold specific things, but aside from the socket and the funnel, no specific things were there. There appears to be a spot for a hitch ball on the right, but not the whole hitch assembly.

Boot.jpg

Craigp

Post by Craigp »

After seeing the above picture i thought i would have a look mine again. It seems the little cubby hole had grown in my mind.😯😯
I could have sworn it was bigger i thought i had a tool bag and other things in there. Turns out i only had the other things no room for the tool bag.πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
OzDiscoUser

Post by OzDiscoUser »

Just pull the foam out. It can be done easily. Then you have a much larger area for storage. I keep the tow hitch in there along with a heap of other stuff. I also use the space under the lift up flaps behind the read seats. Just be careful of that spot.

The other space you can use is in with the wheel jack. There is another useless piece of foam in there on the side towards the center of the car that can be removed or replaced with another, thinner, protective sleeve. I store my first aid kit in there. I also put stuff around the jack & tools, just stay well clear of the electrics.
Disco-5 HSE Lux, TDV6, Silicon Silver/Light Oyster, with most options