Connectivity

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
Sinky100

Post by Sinky100 »

Hi,

Just a question for the guys who have collected their Disco 5:
I collect my Disco 5 HSE in around 3 weeks. During my test drive the salesman advise me to get a data SIM card, as the InControl system is a better experience. This what we did for my wife's 2014 RRS.
However I have noted from the iGUIDE that there is an option to connect the vehicle to the internet via an "external wifi" connection.
My question is simply: can I forego the data SIM card and connect the vehicle to my mobile phone wifi (hotspot) as my phone comes with a 30GB free hotspot? Or is it better to have the additional sim, as the vehicle will be connected to the internet all the time(?)

Cheers,
Iain

jimbg

Post by jimbg »

Two benefits

1. Convenience - No need to remember to switch on phone hot spot. Not sure if any additional action requiredin car.

2. The data SIM will use the external aerial and therefore give better reception.

Probably best to give it a try when you get the car?

I use this:- https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-tr ... -data.html
LR_Gogo

Post by LR_Gogo »

Are all features work this way (providing wifi for the car everywhere through a phone)?
The documents all say that you need the 3G Sim card in order to have some features like traffic info for navigation, etc. and you need to enable mobile data in the menus.
I would do this through my phone definitely, instead of using AT&Ts 3G SIM card that came with the car. My phone has LTE/4G speed to share.
DiscoTime

Post by DiscoTime »

My dealer recommended a UK Three Data PAYG SIM which was £30 for 12GB / 12 month. I don't use the hotspot feature and it uses very little data for navigation and traffic so this seems a pretty good option to enable all the internet features
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

Ian c

Post by Ian c »

Hi re data SIM I've just picked up a shared SIM which stays in the car but users my data from my phone contract at no extra cost I've 25 gig or whatever that means but only use 1 on my phone so this hasn't cost anything just a trip too ee and a second SIM . Annoyed as I've had my disco since mid March spent 10 weeks in Spain with rubbish sat nav ECT as nobody had informed me i need a sim to operater all these systems on top off everything else that whent wrong with car