SIM Card Help

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

Hi All,

Wonder if anyone could shed some light on a problem Im having. I picked up a data only SIM card from Vodafone today to use in my disco 5, however when i insert it I get a message saying no sim inserted when I try and activate mobile data in the settings menu, has anyone else set up a SIM card and think of anything i could be missing?

Cheers in advance for any help :)

Nattyboy

Post by Nattyboy »

Hi
When I enquired about a internet data SIM card I was told I need a broadband SIM card

I assumed they were both the same, apparanty not so I'm still confused whether I need a internet data SIM card or a broadband sim

Just wondering if that's why your sim doesn't work
stuart_f

Post by stuart_f »

Apologies if this comes over as patronising - it really isn't mean that way - but are you sure you have the sim card in the right way round?

The picture next to the sim card slot can be interpreted a number of ways. You need the gold contacts facing forward and the diagonal cut out on the top left hand side. The sim needs to go really far into the socket, way further than the pad of a finger can push it, you'll need to use a long fingernail to push it all the way home.

Hope that sorts it!

Edit to add: This is the sim card I'm using in my Disco. http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=570
£30 one-off charge for a 12Gb of data that lasts a whole year. No contract and no recurring payment required.
v2cjb

Post by v2cjb »

Thanks Stuart f for the link. I shall get myself one for my new disco. Cheers
RyanRC

Post by RyanRC »

Forgive my ignorance and hope this does not come off the wrong way as a bash or something as it more a technically why question I think, but for what we are paying for these cars...why don't then come with the sim card?

I mean I know there is setup stuff, but still...shouldn't it be something provided even if by the dealer if you want it, then done as part of the prep setup by them before you take delivery?
stuart_f

Post by stuart_f »

They do come with a sim card.

The included sim card is hidden in the depths of the car somewhere and supplies the Land Rover Assist and SOS functions built into the cabin and InControl Secure if you have it.

The optional sim card allows you to create a WiFi hotspot which some people could transfer many hundreds of Gb of data over. It's reasonable to allow the user to decide the level of data they want to supply for that.
kits80

Post by kits80 »

stuart_f wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:49 pm Apologies if this comes over as patronising - it really isn't mean that way - but are you sure you have the sim card in the right way round?

The picture next to the sim card slot can be interpreted a number of ways. You need the gold contacts facing forward and the diagonal cut out on the top left hand side. The sim needs to go really far into the socket, way further than the pad of a finger can push it, you'll need to use a long fingernail to push it all the way home.

Hope that sorts it!

Edit to add: This is the sim card I'm using in my Disco. http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=570
£30 one-off charge for a 12Gb of data that lasts a whole year. No contract and no recurring payment required.
Thanks - just bought this SIM card and worked a treat, although struggled a bit getting it to stay in
alex11

Post by alex11 »

Not sure if anyone can help me - but Im having a sim card issue.

Before leaving the dealership I popped in a data sim card and all worked fine.
However now Im getting an error saying ' Sim Card Removed' - when the sim is still clicked firmly in place
have tried swapping out for other sims (from my phone) - same issue

Anyone else having the same problem?

Alex
rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

Hi all,

I got a very cheap sim card from GiffGaff. £10 a month for 3Gb of data (it has text and calls too but I wasn't looking to use that). Plus no contract.

When I put this in the sim slot in the car, I did initially put it in the wrong way round, seems that the slot does allow it to go in all the way and click, even if its in wrong! So managed to get it out when the 'no sim card' message came up, put it in the right way round and it works a dream!

Love the ability to change the Sat Nav to show a satellite image instead of just the roads!
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

I use the Three sim as mentioned above from Mymemory where it is cheaper still at £2 per month

The 12Gb for 12 months is fine as the system uses next to nothing.