Fixed step

All Discovery 5 related discussions
Mack247

Post by Mack247 »

Anybody else going for this? I only realised after viewing the car that had it that it wasn't standard. The dealer said they are fitted by the dealer, not the factory (£1,000+ optional extra). I asked my 3 year old daughter to get in and out of the car not mentioning the step and each time she used it very naturally. It's a very high step in/out without the fixed step. Also noted there is a * beside it on the accessories list which states "*Fitting of side steps or side tubes may affect the off-road capability of the vehicle.".

v2cjb

Post by v2cjb »

I am not bothering with the steps but my daughters are six and eight and they can reach the rear grab handle to pull themselves inside the rear. Also the car drops when you park which helps. i appreciate for a three year old they would help. As no discounts on the disco negotiate a discount off the steps. At least ten percent.
ashields

Post by ashields »

I'm torn

I don't think visually they suit the looks of the car.

However I find on the D3 they do act as protection from other peoples doors ( especially if you leave the car raised).
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

I had some on a D3. Not a big fan just used to end up with a black mark on the back of my trousers. Obviously may be a benefit with small children.
The D5 I took for a test drive had them fitted and as above I didnt think they were very suited as the car drops quite low or certainly appears too.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
ashields

Post by ashields »

The dealer demonstrator had steps fitted that looked more discrete than the ones on the accessories page.

When I enquired I was told they where £900 fitted so I decided to have them.
JackW

Post by JackW »

How does the new Discovery 5 compare to the older Discovery 3 or 4 in seat height when its in the low position for access. My wife is only 5'2" and has a little problem getting into our D3 even when its in access mode. I'm looking forward to having the D5 automatically drop when its parked but I do wonder if its going to be any lower than the earlier cars.

I don't want to go with any sort of side step because they can really limit the off road capability.