Poor Ride Quality - 20in Wheels & Goodyear Tyres

All Discovery 5 related discussions
Discobus81

Post by Discobus81 »

Hello All,

First off, great forum with lots of good info.

Ive had a search but can’t find really much on poor ride quality with the Discovery 5. I have an 2018 HSE SD4 with 20in wheels and Goodyear Eagle tyres.
I have to say I’m very disappointed with the ride quality considering the wheel size and this car has air suspension. It does not glide over bumps / cracks the same way the old disco 4 did or my Landcruiser after that.
There are no faults showing or registering and the air suspension works fine, low, normal, hide.
It just feels like the ride is hard. Every bump is felt through the tyres. I’ve tried lowering tyres pressures etc but it makes no difference.
Dealer says car is perfect, through its 165 point check, service, MOT etc.
I drove a few before this one, actually on 22” wheels and thought they were better, but could have been road dependent, as was this cars original drive was nice roads and motorway, more the fool me.
My wife’s golf GTE is on par with this particular car, road noise worse, but comfort and ride similar.
I can’t see many fitted with Goodyear Eagle tyres, it’s rare, most have Pirelli Scorpion Verde or other. Starting to wonder if it’s tyres, although as said I’ve lowered pressure from factory setting and it’s no better. Or the damping has been switched off or changed through a software update in its life.
I cannot believe this is ride quality everyone raves about.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks

JRRushden

Post by JRRushden »

I have an Si6 with 21 inch wheels. I always replace the tyres with Michelins, They grip, ride and last longer and are worth the extra money, in my view. I do find the suspension harder than my old Disco 3, but it also feels less like a boat!
JamesG

Post by JamesG »

I have just bought a 2017 3.0 TDV6 on 20s with the original spec Pirelli scorpion verde tyres and I have the same issue - the ride quality is very poor and not what I was expecting. My previous D3 was so much better. Did you ever find a solution to your problem?
sowr

Post by sowr »

Try running the vehicle on the light load tire pressures.
Douglasson

Post by Douglasson »

sowr wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:54 pm Try running the vehicle on the light load tire pressures.
That’s an interesting thought, but I’m 99% sure that all that setting does is monitor the tires at different pressures. When under light load, the car calls a “low” tire at a lower pressure than it would call under heavy load.