Worried about break in and theft

All Discovery 5 related discussions
WaddyUK

Post by WaddyUK »

Hi All, I'm considering getting a Discovery 5 however I'm worried about break in's and theft of keys to get it. I've seen it's in the top 10 for most stolen vehicles and with kids and pets in the home I have to be honest it does concern me.

We have the best locks for the doors recently fitted and a CCTV and Ring set up but you hear about thieves barging into homes to get keys etc.

DRW

Post by DRW »

Hi Waddy

It sounds like you have already taken steps to ensure yous and family safety, Discovery is fitted with a secure tracker which if the worst happens you can call LandRover in control secure and report the vehicle stolen, the only other advice is get a big dog 🐕

DRW
Discobolly

Post by Discobolly »

I’d be more worried about the theft of the car itself, as they don’t even need keys these days.

They use a scanner to unlock your car and drive off. It happened to me with my Range Rover. It’s takes no more than a minute.

The best way to get peace of mind is to put a steering wheel lock, as car thieves seem to find it too much of a challenge these days.
fiske69

Post by fiske69 »

I have my car fob in an aluminium box ,(you can get them off eBay or Amazon), the box is slightly larger than the key. Then, the box is in another Tesla box which I keep in a cupboard not near any external door.
I’ve also cctv covering my house.
As for the Disco 5 I’ve a thatcham steering wheel cover on it and an a pull up security post concreted into my drive.
I had considered buying a Rottweiler, tying It down each night just before I leave it in my car half starved and braying it’s testicles with a hoody doll.
But the hoody would shite on my seating once the dog got him so I have not bothered going that far
Plus I bought a cheap tracker of eBay and hid it in the car .rechargeable battery lasts about 2 months and it’s accurate. Quite pleased with that purchase, in fact so is my drinking mate, a heating engineer,he fitting one to his tranny van
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

I think you should have gone with the dog. Your security sounds a little lax' s. 😉
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
fiske69

Post by fiske69 »

You can disable the touch opening on the fob.

I have done it on my 19 plate and it works
Moho Miner

Post by Moho Miner »

Hi all,

I would also advise getting a couple of faraday bags for your key fobs, one for the spare in the house and one for when you are out and about. Criminals need to clone the signal from your original fob, if they can't pick up the signal from the fob then they can't clone it.

We always put the keys in one of these even if we are in a shop or town. The ones we have are from Disklabs, a digital forensics company that many UK police forces use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disklabs-Key-S ... B073JNWH83

Hope this can add a layer of security for you.

Moho
The G Man

Post by The G Man »

I too was concerned about the media Hype and reports of thefts of the high value vehicles.
I contacted LR who informed me that the frequencies of keys etc had been changed and that , combined with the built in Tracker makes the vehicle less of a target.
I also think a personal increased awareness is required...just like wearing an expensive watch...being aware of what is a happening around you/Who is watching you is important.
Greyfox7

Post by Greyfox7 »

I had a ghost immobiliser and tracker fitted, a little pricey but the only way a car can be stolen is by being lifted onto a truck.
https://ghostinstallations.co.uk/
TowDisco

Post by TowDisco »

Apparently, thieves can start your car using the OBD port and a computer. You can get dummy OBD ports to replace your standard OBD port which you hide somewhere. It's enough to confuse and slow down the thieves. You can get a basic one which does nothing, a powered one, which will make their reader work, but no data connection, or a powered one with a120db sounder, so that when someone plugs a reader in they pretty much get deafened.
https://www.dummyobd.com/products/