Playing Media Through USB

All Discovery 5 related discussions
Big_Nev

Post by Big_Nev »

Car recognises the memory stick, ie the name comes up on the screen but it's greyed out. I have re formatted to Fat32 but still no joy! I have read the manual but it has very little information. The mp3 files play ok on my pc. Am I missing something obvious? Please help, thanks.

LRB

Post by LRB »

Hi Nev

I spent a frustrating week or so trying to sort this out, even went back to the dealer to have a look who couldn't resolve it! I was using new, good quality Sandisk USB 3.1 sticks. Turns out that this was the problem!!

I then used cheaper USB sticks (off Ebay) which claimed to be USB 3.0 and below which worked fine. I've now managed to get cheapo USB sticks up to 2TB to work. The FAT32 thing is important and there are a couple of websites you can Google which format large USB sticks to FAT32 (normally larger capacity sticks are formatted to EXFAT by default).

Another learning for me was not to assume the stick wasn't working straight away and remove it. Recently some of the larger sticks I've been using for the first time can take circa 15/20 mins to index before being available.

Really pleased with the car but this problem really annoyed me and as you say the manual is of little help. I recently had a conversation about this and was told that the 'Land Rover technology' is not keeping up with 'USB development'.

Hope this helps

Cheers

David
Big_Nev

Post by Big_Nev »

David,

That is incredible! I was using a 32GB Sandisk 3.0 and I couldn't get it to work. Just tried as you suggested a cheap ebay £4 8GB drive and it worked first time!!!!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
nerd

Post by nerd »

Hi Guys,

Sorry for digging up the old thread but what format and software did you use for DVDs? I can't seem to get the right combination of H.264 and sound, I can get the file to be visible but it just doesn't play.

I've got a 32gb USB 3.0 stick formatted to FAT32.

Regards,
N
Russell

Post by Russell »

Anyone found a way forward with the MY21 cars.
My memory stick worked fine in my MY17 First edition but I cannot get it to work in the MY21 car??