Gearshift paddles

All Discovery 5 related discussions
andrewe

Post by andrewe »

Anyone else had a gearshift paddle break off? I have a 2017 Discovery with the optional aluminium paddles, and on the motorway yesterday clicked the upshift one and the whole paddle assembly broke off - the plastic around the screw holding it to the steering wheel had failed. :o

As if that not scary enough while changing lane at 70mph :shock: , the detached paddle on its cable flapped around and then wedged behind the steering wheel, making it hard to steer. Fortunately got into lane 1 and then into a refuge area, where I was able to unplug the cable and detach the paddle completely. Now my heart's stopped racing, can't replace it as plastic is gone so no way of reattaching it.

£300-odd for the parts, or £420 inc labour - doing up two screws, it seems – but dealer can't do a 'while you wait' until July 8th. Have badgered them into looking at it tomorrow, but they didn't seem too keen! May have to get the parts and do it myself - will be interested to see whether or not I'll be asked to pay for the bits.

Hmmm...

jimbg

Post by jimbg »

No, but that has to be a warranty issue surely?
JohnShaft9

Post by JohnShaft9 »

Funnily enough, this happened on my sons XF Jaguar..You do mean the screw hole on the rear of the steering wheel ,where the screw going through the paddle, secures the paddle?

If it is, it would be easier and much much cost effective to buy a Steering wheel (providing you have ask that there are no cracks where the paddles secure to ) from Ebay, apparently, I've been told by the dealer we use, all of the newer SW frames from 11 plate onward use the JLR frame... Now I hope my little bit helps but this seems to be a problem IF you use the paddles on a regular basis as my lad tends to do.