Oil dilution 3 tdv6 hse 18 plate

All Discovery 5 related discussions
Brooks1sr

Post by Brooks1sr »

Hi all 7 month old car on 2nd oil change 1st at 3200 miles 2nd at 2180 miles stealers told me down to wife's driving style as did crs at jlr told them put it in writing how she should drive after many phone calls got a email saying sorry it's not your wife's driving it's a software problem for oil dilution asked them to send info on what software update will do ref oil dilution is the updated sdv6 have same issue my concern is later in life is residual value of car any info on best plan of actio ,keep it sell it or ask them to swop it ?

jimbg

Post by jimbg »

I would get the car updated, this problem is not just on JLR cars but is fairly common across the board.

The need to achieve the emissions standards required today is the reason why manufacturers are having to resort to this kind of thing.

Google 'Service Required' after only 5,000 miles!?
Ian c

Post by Ian c »

Hi you mention future value on your disco wouldn't even go there paid 70k for first edition march last year just been offerd 43k ouch its got 33k miles but its lost 27k in 18 months devastating good job i like driving it even with all its issues
Brooks1sr

Post by Brooks1sr »

Dealers just told me today had new software upgrade and when asked about oil dilution percentage said it's bin increased from 6.1 to 7 percent and software is a field trial to see if it fixes the problem and just asked them to put it in writing that no engine damage will happen in increase of oil dilution I await my email from them tomorrow
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

Did you read all the other stuff?
Brooks1sr

Post by Brooks1sr »

Yeah dealer agrees with me and get it in writing which jlr are doing and going to set out service interval they expect it to do see what tomorrow brings while I still have there loan car until I receive it
Brooks1sr

Post by Brooks1sr »

Update n222 software update done said algorithm was wrong for oil dilution percentage see what happens in next 3000 miles
Woodenman

Post by Woodenman »

I've been looking into this, a little and it seems that low mileage and lots of short drives, wreaks havoc on this engine. Not that that helps much if it's what you do.
As for residuals, I have a feeling that Land Rover's pretty poor reliability image in general is going to murder residuals. Would anyone buy a Discovery out of warranty? Mine is IN warranty, as is yours. I've had it a week and already need to drink the coffee in the service centre...
I suspect a lot of extended warranties will be bought just to sell these beasts on....

They are truly lovely, but it's scandalous that LR get away with such shoddy reliability on such expensive vehicles.
I had an M5 for two years, 43k miles and pretty much every extra you could get. Never went to a dealer for anything other than a service and never before 16,000 miles. Different vehicle but not really when it comes to the nuts and bolts.
As I read that back, I relied I was on a soapbox....sorry...
Brooks1sr

Post by Brooks1sr »

They downloaded the driving cycle of the car said it was being driven as expected and apologised for blaming my wife's driving and said it's down to software problem the algorithm that works out oil dilution was imputed wrong but they won't guarantee it's a cure mines my18 tdv6 same as my17 but I can't get free oil changes like my17 models said I have to pay jlr don't want to know said dealer problem so next 3000 miles will tell
LandyMan1946

Post by LandyMan1946 »

Hi there, how did you get the Driving Cycle from Dealership, was it Free?

Thanks