New SD4 motor for 2019MY Discovery

All Discovery 5 related discussions
LandJag

Post by LandJag »

Apparently the 4 cylinder diesel motor of the Discovery SD4 has been changed without that Landrover has made any mention of this: the 2018MY motor had 500 Nm of torque while the 2019 MY motor has only 430 Nm left.

Horsepower which is measured at 4500 rpm has remained the same at 240HP; however for the average Discovery driver this is not a very relevant indicator, because the motor is seldom used at high revs.

What is important is torque at relatively low rpm ( 1500 ) and this has been decreased by 15% !

My guess is, that this reduction of power has been introduced in order to get the CO2 emissions under the 200 gr/km limit.

Does anybody has an opinion about following questions:

- Would this reduction in torque influence considerably the refinement and flexibility of this 4 cylinder diesel?
- Would the torque reduction have any negative influence on the very good particle filter regeneration management of the existing SD4 motor? (would exhaust temperature be lower?).

Your input is highly appreciated as I have to spec a new Discovery in November this year :)

Hauser

Post by Hauser »

Hi,

interessiere stuff!
Engine choice is going to be difficult for MY2019. The SD4 got nerfed and the V6 got buffed to a SD6 with 300 PS. The engine is known from the RRS and there it proved to be quit unreliable. LR said it got revised though. But that means no long term experience with that specific engine.

But back to your questions:
- Would this reduction in torque influence considerably the refinement and flexibility of this 4 cylinder diesel?
> I would say you would notice the "missing" Nm (70) if you had the chance to test drive both engines within the same car. If 430 Nm are enough for the D5 remains to be tested and is (of course) up to everyone's own driving style.

- Would the torque reduction have any negative influence on the very good particle filter regeneration management of the existing SD4 motor? (would exhaust temperature be lower?).
> I would say no. That shouldn't affect the exhaust temperature and therefore the regeneration. That is (of course) if they still place the DPF close coupled.

Greets,
Hauser
Discovery 5 (MY 2017): HSE Luxury, TDV6, Fuji White w. black roof
Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof