First service interval for D5 Diesel V6

All Discovery 5 related discussions
D5V6

Post by D5V6 »

Hi,

My D5 V6 Diesel was build in April '18. I have had it 3 weeks and done 3500 miles.

Just needed a service. Oil dilution was 6.9%.

Had oil changed by dealer after a haggle. It was/is fully up to date and needed no software updates or recalls or campaigns etc

Is this just a first service issue or will it reoccur? I know many have had this initial issue.

My concern is this will be an issue for life.

Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Unfortunately it seems to be. Although you have to question how someone who clocks up that kind of mileage should be having these issues. One would assume the engine has many opportunities to carry out a regen. Unless you are a milkman and it's constant stop start🤣. Reject the car and get the 2 litre engine that appears to be ok.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
VeryDisco5

Post by VeryDisco5 »

Sorry to hear about your early dilution issues. When the L-462 was launched it had to be EU6-compliant which meant a change of exhaust architecture from previous Discovery models. For some unknown reason the new exhaust design creates a causal chain of events resulting in the symptoms that you have experienced. The company said in a service compliance notification that this is due to "hardware and architecture" issues but it has never elaborated on that statement and, in fact, refuses to acknowledge in public that any problem exists. The official line is that abbreviated service intervals are due to driving style and that the "self-cleaning" DPF is working correctly. There is a more detailed description at the end of this thread that you might find useful. If you google "JLRP00100" or "land rover diesel dilution" you will find links to dozens of similar posts across multiple web-sites, suggesting that several JLR EU6 exhaust systems are causing oil dilution problems, not just the one on the V6 Land Rover Discovery 5.