Would your buy a Discovery 5?

All Discovery 5 related discussions
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

But only one person has actually had the oil checked and it was 0.5% compared to the calculated figure by the car of 6%+

It is a problem on lots of different manufacturers cars because of the Euro6b limits set.
JLR are probably being over cautious in their software algorithm to calculate dilution. The figures quoted by dealers when you have an oil change are NOT actual percentages, just remember that.

mordred1973

Post by mordred1973 »

Actually I do remember Volvo reporting early Euro 5 5 cylinder cars had a rise in oil level due to diesel getting into the oil during regens. Not sure how they resolved it on theb20 year old design engine, but haven't seen any ongoing issues on their forum in past 5 years (all DPF and EGR issues were on their 4 cylinder later engines when first released)
Nigelm

Post by Nigelm »

Yes indeed, we love ours intact the wife wants to shop ours in after 2 more years and get the up to date model, she adores it.
3ltr diesel
HSE LUXURY
Extended leather
side steps
roof rails
silicon silver
DCCHO48

Post by DCCHO48 »

Definitely not. I placed an order for one last October, delivery due March 1st this year. Three weeks before delivery was due, I cancelled the order, having heard about all the problems, particularly the oil dilution. I did not need to be taking the vehicle back every few weeks for yet another problem.
Bought an Audi Q7 Sportline-absolutely fabulous car-very quiet and comfortable-great long distance cruiser. Also a brilliant tow car, with 8 gears and lots of tech-that just works, as you would expect it should. Done 5000 miles since March and not a single problem. Why did I not consider one before now?
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Because you love the Land Rover marque. That's why you are still lurking round the forum. Go on admit it.šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
Qwertyd5

Post by Qwertyd5 »

Iā€™ve had D3, D4 and now D5. As experienced above the D3 spent its life getting fixed. But the D4 was faultless and fantastic, except the terrible mpg . Iā€™ve had my D5 3ltr for 6 weeks and despite 2 visits back to dealership, it still has several mechanical and electronic niggles they are struggling to fix, plus Iā€™m now aware of the oil dilution issue, which judging from my rapidly dropping service indicator, mine is also going to suffer. I disagree with those who say ā€œonly a few nigglesā€, no Ā£70k car should have such niggles.
I would say only buy the latest MY19 version which uses a different engine to avoid the oil dilution. You should also seriously consider specā€™ing the active suspension, because the standard car has horrendous body roll.
Sirrah4941

Post by Sirrah4941 »

I love my old series 4 ( on a 65 plate) and Iā€™m thinking of the discovery 5 and Iā€™m tempted!! Do I go 2 litre or 3? Keen to hear MPG for 3 litre ( have another post with that question but keen to hear the users in this groups experiences) also, whatā€™s the tax work out based on emissions?
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

I would say my mpg is slightly better than the D4 around 2 or 3 mpg. But no hard evidence.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.