Should I cancel my D5 3L diesel HSE order and place order for petrol version instead?

All Discovery 5 related discussions
DCCHO48

Post by DCCHO48 »

Have on order a D5 3.0 diesel HSE, due for delivery to me on March 1st. Somewhat horrified to see the long list of folks reporting problems relating to the fuel diluting the engine oil issue and subsequent early service indicator warnings. As I understand it, this problem only relates to the Diesel engine and is primarily caused by the DPF being mounted further from the engine than it should, which stops it getting to a high enough temperature to work correctly-(please correct me if this is not the case). I am thinking of cancelling my order and ordering a Si6 petrol engine version instead. I assume this would be clear of the fuel diluting the engine oil problem, but are there any other known serious problems with this engine?
I have seen many reports of the early service indicator warnings, but are these all on diesel engined vehicles? The early postings seemed to suggest it was a software issue but I assume this might have been before the full extent of the problem became apparent.
Indeed I cannot see how Land Rover can fix the original problem without a fairly major redesign.

rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

I've had my 3.0 TDI HSE since last October. Yes, theres been a lot of issues around the oil dilution and I was indeed one of the people where my service indicator came up early. Having said that we are talking about a new model of car. I was also privileged to be one of the people who bought a Discovery 4 when that came out in 2009. There were also 'issues' with that in the beginning, however that became one of the best SUV's you could buy and probably still is!

What I guess i'm trying to say is, for me I did expect 'issues' and 'challenges' when it came to me buying this car. Its been in the dealership 4 times for warranty fixes and updates - but I expected it really. I think i'm now at that point whereby I think things have been sorted and the car is a dream to drive. I haven't got any TPMS errors, no service related reminders or any other faults at the moment.

Its easy for me to say I know, as i'm sure other people on the forum might have had a worse experience than me, but i'm more than happy with my vehicle, and would recommend it to anyone. You just have to understand that theres bound to be these sorts of things with a new model of car.
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Mine is waiting to go in for a oil change. As far as i understand, it will be covered by warranty or the 5 year service pack i took out. So at this time im not too worried. I suppose it comes down to how long you intend to keep the car. Hopefully they will find a fix so not to effect resale in the future.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
DCCHO48

Post by DCCHO48 »

From what I have read elsewhere, the interim oil and filter changes are NOT covered by the service plan and I have been told it could cost £200 per oil change and others have been told the oil and filter change should be done every 4 months-starts to become a very expensive vehicle to service, even with the service plan!! Some folks have managed to get the oil changes paid for by the dealer. Just wish someone would tell us what the real problem is-is it a software issue, which you would hope could be sorted at some point, or is it a design fault in that the DPF runs too cool and does not work properly. I am no engineer but for LR to fix that would mean a re-design and that is not going to happen anytime soon. In the meantime no-one can tell us if there is any long term damage being done to the engine, by the engine oil being diluted, and by the time we find out we might all be a lot poorer!!
I intend to keep for the car for a long time (8 years+) and would probably purchase the additional warranty after 3 years, but that works out at £800+ per annum.
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

Have you read the LR bulletin on the subject? It has been posted on https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/view ... &start=210

There is a link on that page to a PDF called JLRP00100.PDF
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Ok just read the bullertin. Not good reading. However just checked with dealer and mine is covered by warranty. But must say very disappointed they are blaming it on driving style and not excepting it as a poor design.
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

I understand there is a fix due in the next couple of weeks, I would not hold your breath though!! :roll:
driverjess

Post by driverjess »

Hi..
Having had a read through these posts and the links to DS section/LR Docs etc.
Does this mean that New Discovery 2L SD4 does not suffer from this issue??

Jess
Telemarkskier

Post by Telemarkskier »

OK I think I understand why the addblue is being used at an excessive rate. How does this relate to dilution of the engine oil by diesel fuel?
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/view ... &start=210

I think this explains it.

Although just spoke to my dealer who is saying that my car will get a oil change + new filter and a software update to stop this early service warning coming up again. Will know better tomorrow when i take it in.