Deployable tow bar - trailer brake cable

All Discovery 5 related discussions
ELT

Post by ELT »

Hi. Does anyone here with a deployable tow bar pull an Ifor Williams horse trailer ?
I'm having trouble working out where the break cable should go. Im currently looping it over the tow bar which I know is incorrect and possibly dangerous. I Emailed Customer Service who suggested I went to a Dealer Garage where "the highly experienced and fully trained parts staff would be able to assist." Well, I did that and was told they have no training in towing and didn't know. They suggested I contact a trailer company!
Any ideas?

rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

Hi, I have an Ivor Williams HB511 double width trailer for my 2 horses. I've always put the brake cable over the tow bar and that where everyone I know who has a horse box does too. If the trailer tow bar ever becomes detached, you need to be sure that the brake cable is going to do its bit and put the horse box brakes on. I wouldn't know any other place where you could put this, apart from maybe a tow hook?

Not sure where you are in the world, but if you are UK based then give TH Whites garages a call, they are one of the main dealers for Ifor Williams in the south. - http://www.thwhitetrailercentre.co.uk
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Not sure how a ifor williams towing rig may differ from any other but if you look under the tow hook to the left there is a lug to clip the cable on. I was using mine like you for long enough before i got underneath and noticed the anchor point.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

Wow! I had no idea that was there! Thanks for the info