How's TD4 engine?

All Discovery 5 related discussions
vken

Post by vken »

Hi all,

We're trying to decide between TD4 and SD4. People said TD4 would be just fine for school drops and shopping.

Has anyone been driving one/both? It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can shed some lights.

Deleted User 523

Post by Deleted User 523 »

Hi Vken I test drove the 3lt Discovery and bought the 2lt without test driving it, and I've go to say am very pleased with my choice. We had a 3lt Range Rover Sport as a loan car and like the Discovery 3lt the engine was silky smooth and effortless going up the gears. The 2lt has plenty of pulling power and doesn't feel underpowered, it's not as smooth as the 3lt and with the 2lt know the engine working, but am still very happy with my choice and if I had an extra £1500 I would of probably got a sun roof and still picked the 2lt it being a little better on mpg.

Once you've made your mind up put so photos on :D
vken

Post by vken »

Thanks for sharing Chalkey!

I just realised that UK has only one 2lt. I'm actually in Australia. Disco has two versions of the 2lt here. One is 132kW(TD4) and another one is 177kW(SD4). Seems UK has the later. I guess I just have to either ask around in Aus forums or test drive myself ...
JiiJii71

Post by JiiJii71 »

We have td4, here in Finland. So far 180hp have done their job ok. Obvius it is not a moonraker, rather a working horse.

When X5 (E53) appeared there were 180hp with it. Nobody complained about weak power...🙂
Parky76

Post by Parky76 »

Hi @vken, I recently bought the Td4 in Australia having looked at the Prado, Ford Everest and Discovery Sport as other options. Done some country driving with overtaking on single-carriageway roads, and had no issues or complaints. A bit laggy off the lights if I am super critical...
5imon

Post by 5imon »

I’m very impressed with the 2.0L (UK) and find its plenty powerful enough. Goes better than my 180BHP 2.0L Disco Sport did. As said above, not as silky smooth as the V6 diesel and does sounds more diesely on tick over and when first pulling away. Once on the move I don’t think there is a lot of difference to warrant the extra cash on a 3.0L unless you need the low down torque for towing heavy trailers etc.
MikeyG48

Post by MikeyG48 »

I have an Sd4 and am very pleased with it. It's still very new and a bit sluggish off the mark but great when it gets going. The twin turbos prop up the power and torque to close to the 3.0-litre numbers at the top end of the rev range but the big difference is that it's over 100kg lighter! Early days but fuel consumption looks on a par with the Evoque I had before...