TDI 3 litre fuel consumption

All Discovery 5 related discussions
MJP

Post by MJP »

Good evening to all members.

I have had my new Discovery 5 SE TDI 6, Firenze Red with Panoramic and rear Camera as extras for three weeks now. firstly, I have to say that I am delighted with the vehicle. I have had 3 Discovery 4's and the difference is, I feel extraordinary. I love driving her.
However, using the ECO page, I am driving the car between 95% and 99% but the fuel usage does not seem to be anywhere near what LR state for Urban/Extra Urban etc. Has anyone else found that they are experiencing lower MPG that thy expected !!

Regards to all. Malcolm (Aberdeen Scotland)

Conqueror

Post by Conqueror »

Hi Malcolm, I also own a 5SE TDI 6. My fuel economy is better than my Discovery4. I recently took a trip down to the NEC in Birmingham from Blackpool and it averaged 44/46mpg . I maintained around 64 mph when able.. I don’t drive it hard as I know it will pick it’s feet up if required and I am not interested in any other drivers trying to goad me into putting my foot down. I also tow a twin axel caravan
and a trip to Italy and back returned 24 mpg overall. ( speed around 60mph)
Hope this helps
Alan
Telemarkskier

Post by Telemarkskier »

Is that a typo? Should it = 42 mpg?
24 mpg would be a disaster in my terms! Just re-read your post and that mpg was while towing. :oops:
rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

Hi all,
I have the added disadvantage with my 3.0 TDI HSE in that I seem to only do very short trips mainly. I'm averaging only 22 to 25mpg!

If I go on a longer trip, it does get itself up to around 35 to 38mpg.
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Telemarkskier wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:28 am Is that a typo? Should it = 42 mpg?
24 mpg would be a disaster in my terms! Just re-read your post and that mpg was while towing. :oops:
I think the 24mpg relates to towing a twin axle caravan. Dont panic🤣🤣
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Just reread your post relised you had relised.🤐🤐🤐
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
Jacro

Post by Jacro »

Its a heavy car. 25-30 is what i expect. Maybe aftet properly run in 30-35.
IanH

Post by IanH »

Mine is 3 weeks old with just 340 miles on the clock but it is averaging about 31mpg . I'm currently using Tesco's finest diesel, but plan over the next few weeks to switch to Shell V-Power and see if that has any effect. Watch this space!
MY18 HSE Td6 Santorini/Ebony
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

It will improve regardless of which diesel you use. Mine after a year is around 40 mpg
rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

Had a trip up to the NEC in Birmingham over the Easter holiday from Hampshire, so about 110 miles one way. I averaged 44mpg which, for a car this heavy, I think is really good.

lol, mind you my son has a BlueMotion Polo, and he took the trip up there - 79mpg on average!