Windscreen Replacement - Recalibration of cameras needed

All Discovery 5 related discussions
rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

Hi all,

well after only 300 miles in my new Disco5, a stone has come up and cracked the windscreen! Just my luck!

The good news is that I have windscreen cover, the bad news is that whilst Autoglass can replace the windscreen, they can't recalibrate the sensors such as the forward facing cameras!

I'm trying to find out what sort of money a dealership is going to charge to do this, but having problems getting them to give me a fixed price.

Has anyone else gone through this? I could really do with an idea of cost.

thanks

rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

Ok guys,

just for a heads up for future, after Autoglass replaces the windscreen, they can't recalibrate the cameras, etc. You have to book it into your Land Rover dealership.

I've called mine and its going to take an hour to recalibrate it all, so my dealership will charge £150+VAT....

All because of a stone! Ouch!
andrewe

Post by andrewe »

At some point insurance companies covering windscreen replacement will have to take on board the cost of sorting all the gubbins attached to the screen these days. Guess that means premiums will rise again...
rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

Yeah, another excuse for them to raise them!
YachtYak

Post by YachtYak »

Our windscreen needed replacing 5 days after taking ownership. Autoglass replaced the windscreen at the dealers and no callibration was needed. Had it done there so that technicians could keep an eye on what was being done . Definitely worth ringing the dealers to arrange this and also ensure that it is JLR windscreen not a generic one. You may have to pay a slight surcharge but due to the age of the car our insurance company didn't quibble or charge for it.
rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

thanks for the info, i'll definitely look at doing that too.
rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

Ok, so just a quick update that might help others who have the same issue.

I've got my car booked in on Monday to have Autoglass replace the windscreen, plus the cars booked in on Tuesday at my dealership to get the cameras calibrated.

I called my insurance company, Aviva and explained the situation - Must admit the Land Rover isn't the first car to have cameras and sensors facing forward out of the windscreen, so i'm amazed that this subject hasn't been addressed with insurance companies before! Anyway after talking to someone there, they called back and confirmed that if I send my invoice for the re-calibration, to them, they will refund me the money! Result!

I guess the moral of this story is to keep on trying and don't take no for an answer!
DONE

Post by DONE »

Last week I had auto glass replace front screen on a Discovery Sport. £75 Insurance excess included recalibration of the cameras/ sensors. Not sure why they can’t do it for the D5