'Service Required' after only 5,000 Miles - Is this correct?

All Discovery 5 related discussions
rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

Hi all,

i've had my Discovery 5 for only 3 months, its the perfect car for transporting my 5 kids and 3 horses! Definitely no other car could do it so well!

Anyway, i've just had the notification 'Service Required' pop up and wondered if this is something other people have seen, after such small mileage? I would have imagined maybe an oil change, or very small service after 10K, but 5k seems like nothing!?

I'm going to pop it into the local dealership and see what they say, but thought it would be interesting if anyone else has also seen this?

thanks

jimbg

Post by jimbg »

It is a known problem and needs a software update.

Register here:- https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topi ... ation=true
Then enter your VIN and you can browse the recalls and also the bulletins for other issues.

These others will not be done unless you say you have that fault. There are loads of them and obviously it would be impossible to apply them to every car, but are there to help your dealer to fix your car if that fault appears.

Worth registering because there may be some minor issue you have and it is a known problem that can be fixed.
rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

Hi jimbg,

thanks for the reply. i'm already registered on the Topix website, however couldn't find anything specific to this message, do you have an exact fault ID I can look up please?
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

It is this one I think, seems to be on V2!! I am not sure my V1 worked.

Title
N025v2 - Independent Oil Dilution Counter Reset
Global reference
N025v2
Navigation path
Bulletins Field Actions
Publication date
24-Aug-2017 15:17:05
rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

Thanks again.

I have contacted my local dealership, however they weren't very forthcoming when they found out I bought it from someone else! I may have to book it in then, especially as I also have another intermittent message that pops up saying 'Gear not in park'. I saw that as a software update on Topix, so they can sort them both out! I just need to wait until the 15th September to get the car in.
rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

Wish I could see that document regarding the issue, but alas its going to cost me £16.80 for an hours access to Topix!
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

Yes, it is a pain that some of the descriptions are so obscure!!
VeryDisco5

Post by VeryDisco5 »

This is what you need. Download the file JLRP00100.pdf from this page.

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/view ... &start=210

Affected vehicles relevant to this forum L462 3.0 litre MY17. All the Ingenium 2.0 litre diesel Evoque and Discovery Sport vehicles are also included.
rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

thanks for all the info, this is definitely the issue I have.

I called the dealership to tell them, but they are far from helpful. I asked them if they were happy for me to continue to drive the car until its due in. He said that he 'thought' it would be ok..!

I also called Land Rover Assistance, who said that I should stop driving the car if any other message comes up...

So no-one is really that bothered, apart from me!
Disco John

Post by Disco John »

I think the contents of the SCN referred to above are really shocking. It basically admits a serious design flaw, 'Duration/distance to complete a full regeneration on 3.0L [engines] is longer' this must be a bad thing, and 'Due to hardware and architectural difference between model lines, the amount of post injection required to achieve a similar burn rate is much higher on 3.0L diesel' (higher than what?). Then goes on to admit that these two effects combined 'significantly increase the Fuel in Oil (FIO) contribution for each successful regeneration event'.
So having admitted the design flaw, absolutely nothing to do with driving style you will note, they then go on to say they will not cover any additional oil change costs (for All New Discovery owners anyway), because they pointed out in some marketing material that the time between oil changes can depend on 'type and style of driving'!
Thinking of cancelling my order...
HSE, 3.0 TD6, Farallon Black, CANCELLED due to unanswered questions about oil dilution