New discovery HUD

All Discovery 5 related discussions
Bungle

Post by Bungle »

Hi all

Thought I'd drop a line about the HUD option having used it for a month. This option choice was a bit of a 'shot in the dark' as it's very difficult to find any user experience with it. So here goes for those that might be considering, I hope it's useful.

1. Sorry about the picture, it was the best I could do. I have a short video but the file appears to be too big to upload. It's tricky to see in the picture but in real life it appears much clearer and larger. It is clearly visible in all conditions, slightly less so in direct sunlight, even clear with my RayBans on.

2. The image appears just after engine start with a green landrover logo. This lasts for about a second then goes to the view shown in the image. Nice to see use of colour.

3. Display info is available from the instruction guide on the net. I have the SE, speed limit is not shown on the HUD but is still available on the Sat Nav screen. This doesn't really bother me as the whole point of the HUD is to keep things clear and simple. Gear selection indication remains on the screen for a second or two and then disappears, except when in sport mode, using the paddles, something I have used once and will probably never again.

4. The Nav directions are good but appear with nearly a mile to go before any turn, its easy to take an early turn accidentally. You'll need to use the info in the instrument cluster and Sat Nav screen to clearly interpret what the HUD symbols are trying to say. Having said that, the HUD does display a count down symbol so getting used to it is the key.

Overall, I'm satisfied that the option wasn't a waste of (a lot of) money. It's a feature that I use every time I drive the car so it has value. It also satisfies my slightly 'geek' nature, friends are impressed by it. The symbology is clear and concise and useful. Do you need it? No, not really, as the rest of the instrumentation is clear. It's a nice feature to have, especially when comparing with something like a Q7 that really is way ahead in this department, but that isn't why we bought a Land Rover is it?....

IMG_0351.JPG

3.0 SE, Santorini Black, 20" 5 Split-Spoke 'Style 5011', Electric Sunroof (tilt/slide front glass) with fixed rear glass pano (Including Power Blinds), Privacy Glass, HUD, rear view camera. Delivered Jul 17.

jimbg

Post by jimbg »

I have Speed limit shown on the HUD , but it is an HSE