Bike Rack

All Discovery 5 related discussions
Clive

Post by Clive »

Hi all.

I don't have a tow bar fitted to my Disco 5 and am after a rear/boot-mounted bike rack (only needs to be for a couple of mountain bikes)

Has anyone bought one they are happy with?

Thanks for any help on this.

Clive

guffers

Post by guffers »

I would spend a little extra and get a tow bar fitted. Then push the boat out and get a Thule rack. Although they probably cost more than the average bike rack the quality is far superior. Having a towbar fitted bike rack I think is much safer and far quicker than your standard rear window fitting rack.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Hi and thank you very much for the answer.

I think you are definitely right that it is a better and safer option, but I am not someone who will use it a lot and don't have another need for the tow bar, unfortunately.

At a guess, I would probably only use the bike rack 4 to 5 times a year over less than 20 miles a time, so don't want to splash out too much.
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

They normally hook over the top of the boot, how would that work with the spoiler?
Bradders

Post by Bradders »

Hi, I had a tow bar installed to my First Edition purely for the bike rack as carrying 3-4bikes is so easy, as well as utilising the boot etc is still easy when installed, you also don't notice them on the back from a visibility perspective either.

I have also got arriving this week Thule roof bars which will allow you to put bikes on the roof of course, but will mean the vehicle is very high and if you haven't got side steps see accessing the roof a challenge. I am using them for a roof box when on longer family holidays.

After having a tow bar installed on my Cayenne I would never go with out now for carrying bikes, expensive yes but brilliant and worth the outlay even after a few trips even for a day trip with the bikes.
Bradders

Post by Bradders »

Here are a few pics of Thule roof bars installed (on a dirty car!)

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

Clive

Post by Clive »

Hi again and thanks for all this.

I hope a follow-up question is ok....

Do you know if there any cheaper options for a tow bar or do I need to go back to Land Rover?

Thanks again