Instant Start/Stop Eco Mode Disable

All Discovery 5 related discussions
BeachDisco

Post by BeachDisco »

Cars with the automatic instant stop/start drive me crazy. From a driving experience perspective it is horrible. I am extremely environmental and own three all electric cars, but there is very little data that shows the tiny amount of carbon savings is beneficial. It just plain sucks. Hitting the little "A" every time I start the car is equally annoying.

I know that LR cannot disable the feature, since it is used as a core calculation in their fleet EPA in California. Disabling it would be like them emissions cheating.

that being said, I know a lot of other RR and LR4 owners have figured out how to disable the instant start/stop mode through disconnecting a secondary battery in the back right luggage area (by the primary battery). In the new Disco5 it has a slightly different configuration and does not appear to have an obvious secondary battery near the rear fuse box.

Has anyone figured out how to disable this "feature" on the Disco5?

Dylan 666

Post by Dylan 666 »

I am very much interested in that too...cannot stand it any more
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

I guess you know it depends on how hard you press the brake pedal? A light press or easing off pressure as you come to a stop will not cause it to switch off.

Or putting on the EPB keeps the engine running.
BeachDisco

Post by BeachDisco »

Exactly. Because of this feature I now need to learn to drive my car using a goofy-foot touch on the break. That is even more annoying. Driving should be intuitive and enjoyable.

I was in a parking lot the other day and stopped short, because I needed to turn in a tight spot. Ironically, the engine stopped and I wasn't able to turn the steering wheel (no power steering). The only easy way out of the situation was to hit the A override. Again, this is very unexpected and annoying. This feature on all new cars sucks.

We should extend this into other areas of life that are enjoyable today, but could suck and save energy tomorrow. Like every time you look away from the TV it turns off and then back on when you look back. Or your phone hangs up and then redials if you pause conversation for more than two seconds. Or if you sit on the toilet the lights go out. Oh, the possibilities are endless.

I am all for saving fuel (I own two 100% electric cars), but this is an idiotic way for the OEM to save .005% at the sacrifice of a delightful driving experience.

I will find a way to override it.

</end rant>
NYDisco

Post by NYDisco »

I have a disable button on my center console.
Is that not on all models?
It's annoying to have to turn it off every time I start my car up, but it has become habit now as the first thing I do after turning on the ignition.
RyanRC

Post by RyanRC »

I was talking to a good friend of mine who happens to be a top LR mechanic at the closets dealer to me as I was looking for a way to do that same, and don't quote me on every point here, but he explained to me that the way this was done a few years ago was by a second battery in the car some place and that if you just disconnected it, that could disable the feature.

But they changed that a year or two ago and now instead of a battery there is a whole control module that incorporates a capacitor inside of it for this that cannot just simply be disconnected like the battery was.

Am sure there is someway to get this not work, but at least for the simplicity it was before of just disconnecting the battery that no longer is the way.

For any more I might suggest you try some of the other forms for LR as pretty much they all use the same parts and just by the shear volumes of those others you might find someone who has figured out a solution.

Past that the only way I know of now is to just press that button every time you drive the car.

From what I understand too, that switch works with a momentary contact operation if you know what I mean, so even just replacing it with say some kind of toggle will not work either.
Ian c

Post by Ian c »

Hi not sure what spec car you have or we're in the world you live but I've a first edition and mine comes with a button in the centre console nx to hill decent that simply switches stop start off .
BeachDisco

Post by BeachDisco »

Yes, RyanRC, I've researched all the older "fixes", but it looks like the 2017 LR's and RR's do not have the same second battery or capacitor. I pulled the panels off the battery cover and they are clearly wired up in a new way. Other forums for RR are also struggling with the same issue.
IanC and NYDisco, yes, all models have a push button switch in the center console to turn off the Instant Start-Stop mode, but you need to hit the switch every time you start the car. I understand that some people are fine with that and have even made it a habit, but it is still crap that you pay $85K for a car that you have to press an extra button every time you drive it. It's like adding an unnecessary step to anything else in life. It is annoying, since I don't need to do it in any of my other cars.