Sim card reader

All Discovery 5 related discussions
ss90619

Post by ss90619 »

jimbg: I provided my sim card and I am presuming they used that or one of their own. When you say problems with actual SIM cards are we implying that only sim cards that use a specific network i.e. EE will work with the LR sim reader? Would you be able to provide me a link to the Forum where this issue is discussed? Thanks!

jimbg

Post by jimbg »

There were quite a few posts on an RRS forum about problems with SIMS and another D5 forum.

It was a physical issue with the actual SIM being the problem, not the network.

I am using a Three 12GB/12 month SIM that works fine. Might be worth trying a different SIM and if that fails you know it is probably the reader.

Any data SIM would do as long as it is not PIN protected of course.
alex11

Post by alex11 »

Quick update:

Car has not gone in yet (I needed to change the date) but oddly the car is now picking up the SIM and working fine, the power to the USB sockets also started working at the same time. Very odd. Am still going to get it checked out though.

In other news the DAB radio stopped working and then came back on again a couple of days later and there seems to be a sat nav software issue where some of the icons cover the data at the bottom which shows ETA etc...

Will let you know how I get on when it goes back in (now next week)

Alex
driverjess

Post by driverjess »

Well been looking at all the odd problems re Sims!!

Eventually got round a getting Three Sim from the link to the Memory Outfit and guess what - Sim Card Removed !!

So is it Sim, position - not in far enough, reader etc??

No hacks/work arounds then??

Jess
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

I guess it is the right way around and pushed fully home? The last one is the one to watch!
driverjess

Post by driverjess »

Contacts are facing front of car , short side up.
You cannot put it the other way round as it will not lock down
Plus it can only go so far down before it unlocks and bounces up,

This time it is 'Reading Sim' for ever. even with the card out!

The card does not have to be registered first ??

Seeing other post the USB are charging devices.

Ho hum, keep trying - Oh and 3 coverage seems OK at 3 and 4G

Jess
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

No the card does not need to be registered, it takes awhile , maybe a minute or so to sort itself out and the 3G text to appear on the top left of the screen.
ss90619

Post by ss90619 »

Another Update: Sim card reader error has still not been rectified. The car has now been with the dealer over 4 weeks and still no resolution. They are receiving guidance and fixes from Land Rover Technicians at head office but as of yet they cannot fix the issue. :cry:

The technicians at head office sent a few software updates to try and fix the problem which proceeded to make matters worse and create other issues which were not there originally. Eventually they then exhausted the software route and decided to go down the hardware route instead which cleared all the issues they created but unfortunately the sim card error is still there so back to square one. :x

The dealer has informed me that they do not know how to resolve this and it will require one of Land Rovers design technicians to visit the dealership to take a look at the car. How long this will take is anyone's guess at the moment - I have been on the phone with both the dealership and head office on a daily basis trying to quicken the process but I will probably need to decide at what point enough is enough and I reject the car or ask for my money back.
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

I think it is time that you asked for a replacement car rather than a replacement SIM reader!
alex11

Post by alex11 »

Another update :

Car has been back in to the dealer. Apparently a problem with the sim reader so the entire unit has now been replaced - working fine so far and I now have power to the USB sockets in the same unit (all part of the same issue apparently)

Software was also updated which apparently is needed to fix some known bugs, however I am still having problems with the Sat Nav randomly shutting down.

Its back in next week anyway as it claims it needs a service (after 5000 miles ?!) and some Adblue