HSE Lux after 3.5k miles...

All Discovery 5 related discussions
gtsussex

Post by gtsussex »

So I thought it would be an idea to give some feedback on the car now we have had it for a while and done a few miles in it. To give some background, we have owned a load of Land Rovers and Range Rovers, the most recent being a Disco 4 which was traded in at 4 years old with 60k.

We ordered our car blind but I have to see we got it right. I had many a sleepness night thinking the dynamic pack was tacky but I love the way our car looks. The issue with the offset number at the rear just disappears with the black surround. It also breaks up the 'tall' look of the normal car. Doesn't seem to me - I've met a few people on the fence who are existing 4 owners. They see ours and so far 2 have put in order. Clearly it's a personal thing but we're happy.

We went boring on colour this time having had Firenze last time. Corris Grey is great, especially with dynamic pack. Interior wise, wise a 4 and 6 yr old, was only ever going to be black. I was concerned again about ordering Dynamic Pack inside but I am delighted. Black headlining works fine with sunroofs and I like the extra piping. Also like the dark trim on front dash.

So what's it like to drive over the Disco 4? It's a far better car to drive, absolutely no question. It's quieter, better handling, more comfortable..... It's basically a 7 seat Range Rover. The front seats are so much more comfortable and it's a league away in refinement. I always chuckle at all the online posts from the haters. So far, 4 Disco 4 owners have driven mine and loved it. More telling 2 Range Rover Vogue drivers have driven mine and reckon they will replace their car with a Disco.

It's not been plain sailing. Compared to others, we've been lucky as the car has been pretty good. Fit and finish on ours is perfect. I do think the Dynamic Pack helps as we don't have the crappy black trim which is susceptible to marking. Would like to make some mention on the interior trim. I don't get the moans on it. We wipe down the car every week and nothing that stayed. I love the fact the top half of the car is posh yet bottle half is wipeable. I also love the fact that they have put carpet on walls of boot.

BUT that rear parcel shelf? Seriously it's a joke - very tricky to put in and feel like of a Dacia. Also the 3rd seat belt holders? Absolute joke. Have already moaned to LR as they need to be the other way round.

Rear boot/tailgate? We've got used to it and actually with the crap my wife puts in the boot, there's something to be said for it not all falling out. It doesn't seem as high as Disco 4 but perhaps that's my mind. What's in no question is the rear space for 2nd row. It is MASSIVELY bigger. No longer do our little monsters kick our seats.

Engine and gearbox - much the same except for one real annoyance. With the ZF8, you can usually 'move' it into the next gear but lifting off. This car really doesn't like going into 8th and will rev to 2.5k before doing so.

So we've had issues and they are IT ones. System keeps crashing, DVD player won't recognise DVD's, rear cameras need resetting, blind spot indicators having a moment. Went in for day and then rebooked for 10 days. Upshot after it, not fixed which I am not happy about.

However, we had a 2ltr HSE during that time which was very insightful. Overall we were getting 31mpg out of our car. I got 33.5mpg out of the 2l car. The thing I couldn't quite deal with was the noise. Sounding like a tractor on a 70k is wrong. Also you had to drop a gear to get anything done. it has torque but nothing like the 3l. The whole 'relaxing' drive just didn't happen.

Will happily add anything anyone wants to know but thought should write it down.

We wouldn't change the car back again and love it to pieces and if the IT could be sorted, all the better.

Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Good write up thanks.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

I have a loaner 2 litre at the moment and it is horrible!!
Lee Jackson

Post by Lee Jackson »

I wonder if its possible to change to a dynamic trim, and all the bits after the fact. I am kicking myself for not going with the dynamic pack.
slickmick168

Post by slickmick168 »

I would agree with everything said about the car.
Its been great.

The only gripes I have:
1. One of the front parking sensors bleep randomly. Will need resetting or replaced.
2. Rear tailgate close button occasionally thinks the key is in the car and doesn't allow the tailgate to close, but can close with the remote keyfob.
3. I did have the opening tailgate issue whereby it opened by about 2mm then closed again. But since spraying silicone spray onto the rubber seals, the problem has been solved

Other than that. Its been good

I have 3.0l diesel HSE Lux with 22" Dynamic Pack and side steps.
Ian c

Post by Ian c »

I've a first edition and think the black is trashy totally agree seat belt holders a joke and I've a window seal and the switch on top of rear seat waiting to be sorted and piece of rear bumper lost somewhere between Newcastle and salou.
Not the car I expected it feels cheap and tacky .
My own fault buying blind ouch
gtsussex

Post by gtsussex »

Sorry to hear that. I have to say, except for the teccie issues, our car is absolutely faultless. I'm starting to wonder whether we are lucky rather than the norm...
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

No, my car is fine as well.
You have to remember the nature forums,more people post about their problems looking for help than those who are happy and therefore have less to say.
v2cjb

Post by v2cjb »

Mine ok aswell. Couple of issues, boot closure dealt with and seal on the pillar between the windscreen and trim on pillar. Both common I believe plus exterior rear door handle coming off but fixed in five minutes. All this in my first month of ownership in March.i expected s couple of issues as s brand new model. Since then been fab and now nearly four thousand miles. Drives like my mates big Range Rover but £69000 instead of £100,000 to buy. Have to say I love it way it looks and drives.
ironman1125

Post by ironman1125 »

Its not really the point is it? For feck sake these are not cheap cars and LR should not be putting out vehicles with so many bloody flaws. How long as this replacement been in development, I reckon at least 3 years. I'm not happy TBH