Help!!! Quality issues...

All Discovery 5 related discussions
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

I got a reply from JLR re the colour of the bumper not matching that shown on the configurator and it was a wholly dismissive and almost condescending reply telling me that the vehicle on the configurator is a graphics simulation (no, really?!) and that the bumpers were a 'shade of black'. Needless to say there was a full response sent to that but before I had a reply, was driving the car and the seal from the drivers windscreen came loose and flapped about scuffing the paintwork on the A pillar.
I sent photos of this to them and listed all of the other faults and to their credit I got a phone call from my local service centre (we are blessed to have Team Valley Land Rover to use up here) asking me to bring the car in.
It is such a shame that instead of spending money on apps to fold seats and other gimmicks, they couldn't have concentrated on the build and quality of components.

Cgsmith

Post by Cgsmith »

Totally agree. The car has such potential and is let down by the poor build quality and types of materials used-especially the plastics inside and out. You'd have thought that the rigorous testing in Utah,etc. would have highlighted these issues? Perhaps LR need to look at how German manufacturers turn out their vehicles...
LR are a victim of their own success where they are churning vehicles out faster than they can cope with and therefore their customers are having to pay the price! Unacceptable.
Allen

Post by Allen »

I took delivery of my Discovery 5 HSE 2.0 SD4 on the 22nd March 2017 and today should be celebrating 5 weeks, 35 days ownership but ....

On day 2, similar to Neil421 report 24th April 2017 on this site, the engine amber warning light lit and has stayed on continuously since that day.

Land Rover Service have diagnosed the problem and on day 5 ordered a part but 5 weeks into ownership of the vehicle I am still driving the car, it with the Warning Light indicating an engine problem.

Land Rover Service say the problem is only minor and the car can be safely be driven but it is not a pleasant experience driving a new car with Warning Light lit which by the Handbook states "Vehicle can be driven, but may enter limp-home mode with possibility of reduced performance Seek qualified assistance as soon as possible." I wonder if the engine is operating normally or is it in limp-home mode !

Have advised Land Rover Customer Service direct on two occasions and whilst they agree that the situation is not good they have to date not helped speed the delivery of the part which has been on "critical order” with Land Rover UK.

Over the years I have owned several Land Rovers and Range Rovers and whilst teething problems can probably occur with any new model, to leave a customer with an engine fault for 34 of 35 days ownership is very disappointing. I am still driving the car but am restricting my travel to limit any possible damage.

Has anyone else got a warning light lit or are Neil and I the only ones with the problem?
neil421

Post by neil421 »

still no sight of wife's vehicle after 6 weeks being in the garage with engine management light being on :( come on JLR
Allen

Post by Allen »

It is very sad that you have received no proper support.

I received my new Discovery 7 weeks ago and have had the "Engine Management" light illuminated since switching on, on the 2nd day of receipt.

So 48 of the 49 days of ownership have been with an engine fault displayed which is very disappointing.

Service Agent, Dealership and JLR Customer Services have all been contacted and to date none of them have resolved the problem each stating that it is in hand with JLR as “critical”.

Maybe now I should now return the vehicle for full refund, as logged as an option with JLR Customer Service, as nobody in JLR appears to care if a customer has been delivered a defective product.
Hynesy

Post by Hynesy »

Temperamental screen is main gripe so far with my 3.0 HSE Lux. Done c.1,700 miles but most weeks the screen will just fail to fire up, usually just leaving the Land Rover logo. Obviously parking sensors, nav, phone etc all inoperable when this happens so far from ideal. Only way to reset it is to stop the car, switch off the engine, leave the car, lock it and wait for the screen to go blank. Then unlock and start again. Oh, and tailgate never opens properly. Dealer couldn't fix it either and several weeks wait to book it back in. Love most aspects of the car though.
cwch60

Post by cwch60 »

Have similar issues. There's a firmware or software update being developed for the infotainment system which will be available mid-June, I believe. Tailgate issue - my tailgate can't get past the initial unlocking and needs manual assistance. Apparently this is a known issue and my car is booked for a day with the bodyshop to adjust the tailgate. Like you, love the car.
slickmick168

Post by slickmick168 »

I fixed the tailgate issue by simply spraying silicone onto the rubber seals. It has worked 100% ever since
cwch60

Post by cwch60 »

Thank you slickmick168. Brilliant solution. Went immediately to Screwfix, bought a £2.79 silicon release spray and hey presto! - the tailgate relase works fine.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Further to my issues posted up thread I've had the rear bumper and the two small silver coloured infill bits colour coded and I think this makes the back end look a lot better than it did with the original grey plastic.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg