Rear screens

All Discovery 5 related discussions
Del

Post by Del »

Hi Labbix,

I think the difference for me is the fact that we spec’d a HSE with so much the equivalent in HSE Lux was only £500 and the HSE didn’t have rear seat entertainment. So when I come to change it is always going to be HSE v HSE Lux thereforei would get more money back on the HSE Lux. In the long run it made sense and a costly one from our first L405 RR (high spec’d Vogue Se to autiobiography I reckon I lost about 4K extra.)

I do have the iPad holders for our RR and they are ok but the rear seat entertainment is much better in the D5. The headphones are fantastic and good quality but very expensive for a third set. In my honest opinion though if I wasn’t buying the HSE Lux I would not buy the rear screens as your going to write off the £2220 over the years of ownership. I normally replace every three years so that’s over £700 per year for me.

Labbix

Post by Labbix »

Hi Del

Thanks again for the reply. You convinced me to take the RSE ;) And the dealer just told me that if the kids really want the iPads as well, I can still order the holders and install them later (as an iPad has more possibilies of course than the RSE), but at the moment the youngest kids are still too small and it will be easier for us to control what they see and what not. Good to hear the quality of the headphones is good, they might be useable outside the car as well then.
ST1

Post by ST1 »

Hello
I've the rear screens too and am learning slowly but could do with a bit of guidance; does anyone know how to change a setting so that the default is for the screens to be in the 'Off' state when the ignition is switched on?, rather than automatically switching on with the ignition.
Regards
Jacro

Post by Jacro »

Labbix wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:40 pm Hi

Is the rear entertainment system actually worthwhile to buy?
Meaning good quality and easy to use (the one from Audi is absolutely worthless, that’s why I wanted to know more about the one in the new Disco)

All info more than welcome ;)
If you have kids and or you go long journeys with rear passengers, then yes.
markbyatt

Post by markbyatt »

FYI, I've been using an Amazon Firestick, plugged into the HDMI socket to stream films to the rear screen. Kids love it.

Also, if you buy a 'y' cable you can also stream movies saved onto a USB thumb drive.
rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

I find that using a USB with either .AVI .MP4 or .MKV files works very well for watching films in the rear.

Great thing also about this is that the two screens can watch different films both from the same USB! It even lets the two screens watch the same film at different times! (i.e. one screen might start watching a film and then the second screen can start to watch the same film, but later on).

Only thing missing is a button to sync up both screens, so they can watch the same film at the same time...