Discovery 5 text messaging

New to the Disco 5 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

Just changed from Discovery Sport to D5. Disappointed to find no text messaging function- in DS texts were read out if driving and there was a template of standard responses.
Have I overlooked some sub menu or is LR going backward on this.

jimbg

Post by jimbg »

Backwards I am afraid.
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

Anyone any experience of using an Android app. to read out text messages on the move please?
BajaPete

Post by BajaPete »

Works for me with an Android phone. No idea of any settings as it is my wife's car and I seldom use it but have had text messages read out. This on a MY17 SE.
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

The SE uses a different system to a HSE, one occasion where the lower spec car is "better"!!
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

Just trying an app. on Android to see if this works. Using free version of Read Text 2me.
Will post review after use.
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

Just looked at D5 owner manual on ownerinfo.landrover.com and if you select the model without a CD player the manual gives instructions for text messages. If you select the model with a CD player there is no reference to texts in the Phone section.
Weird that you can pay more for a better specced model but get less!
Have not given Read Text 2me a good test yet but will post opinion later this week
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

Is yours a MY2018?

Looks like it might work....... https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread712.html

Have a look at page 4
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

No I don't think so. Still reviewing ReadText 2me on android- might need fine tuning.
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

Gwyn wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:47 pm Just looked at D5 owner manual on ownerinfo.landrover.com and if you select the model without a CD player the manual gives instructions for text messages. If you select the model with a CD player there is no reference to texts in the Phone section.
Sort of right! :mrgreen:

The SE uses Incontrol Touch (no CD ) which has been around a while on previous models. That supports text read out.
The Discovery SE has always worked.

The HSE or HSE Lux has the newer Incontrol Touch Pro ( with CD ). The 2017 model does not support text read out.

However there is now talk of the HSE supporting text read out. The question is that for 2018, certain phones or the result of an infotainment upgrade?