Hello and Advice :D

New to the Disco 5 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Deano645

Post by Deano645 »

Hi

I have just joined the forum today.

We are about to take the plunge and purchase a Disco, I tow 2 horses so need something with a good tow capacity. I am just trading up from a Hyundai Santa Fe which has been a fabulous car.

Our dilemma is whether to go for a D4 or the new disco, and wondered if anyone had driven both and had any thoughts? We have test driven both and found the D5 a much smoother ride, we are looking at an ex demo or something similar not brand new. We will be going for the HSE model if we go for the D5 or the Landmark D4.

We test drove the 2L version yesterday and found it to be more powerful than we thought, what are people's thoughts on the 2L vs the 3L disco 5? Has anyone got any true MPG's?

Also, the tow bar, as I will be towing a heavy load is it advisable to get a fixed tow bar? The salesman yesterday said that the electrical tow bar can cope with up to 3500kg too - is that true? He also told us the D5 is not selling anywhere near what was expected as people just don't like the new shape - will that effect the RV? What do people think? I am not really concerned about the shape too much, I just want a car that does what i want it to do, two kids, two large dogs and two horses to ferry around, and capable of offroad in muddy fields. I think the back looks odd but the car to me doesn't look too bad.

Spending so much money we just want to get the decision 100% right. D4 or D5?

And also, has anyone come across any issues with the D5? My husband has a Jaguar XF, the new model and has the same software as the D5, the InControl Touch Pro, and he has had many issues with it, from the phone no connecting, to it telling him the temperature outside is -45c! and then the sat nav packing up too. We are hoping he has just been unlucky, however, a friend has the Disco Sport and had the same problems so it is a concern.

Any advice would be gratefully received. :D :D :D

jukn

Post by jukn »

Had a few D4s and now a D5 which has come with a number of issues. We used the D4 to tow an Ifor Williams with one 16hh horse in it, have a German Shepherd and a Labrador who both fitted in the back of the D4 very comfortably with lots of room (more than the D5). My husband also used the D4 to go shooting off road and had no complaints at all, going in lots of places that other 4x4 (including RR) couldn't go.

If I were in your situation I would be going for the D4 and waiting until the D5 came down in price, had more used ones to choose from and the initial issues were sorted.
3.0 TD6 HSE Kaikoura Stone, Black Design Pack with 20" wheels style 5011, Capability plus pack, Electric tilt/slide Sunroof with power blinds, Privacy glass, Intelligent seat fold, Fixed side steps, Half height luggage divider
Deano645

Post by Deano645 »

Thanks for the advice. I have an Ifor Williams HB505, 15hh horse and 11hh (at the moment!) pony. and two retrievers. what issues have you had? this was my concern as it is such a new model, and the D4 is proven. However, on paper the running costs on the D5 are better? are they really?
jukn

Post by jukn »

I got my car new on March 9th and have now rejected it and am waiting to collect replacement car on Thursday so having only done 1000 miles in it and not seen it since May 31st can't comment on running costs. I didn't find the D4 heavy on running costs, just what you'd expect from a 3l diesel 4x4. I had the same infotainment issues as many on here, problems with the tpms, major issue was locking or unreliability of it, having been locked out of it, unable to lock it, couldn't shut the tailgate with the dog in it, amongst other things, this locking problem was eventually what led me tor reject the car. Some people seem to have been lucky with them, but there are a lot of electronic problems with the new model. Almost wish I hadn't sold the D4, some lucky person out there got it.
3.0 TD6 HSE Kaikoura Stone, Black Design Pack with 20" wheels style 5011, Capability plus pack, Electric tilt/slide Sunroof with power blinds, Privacy glass, Intelligent seat fold, Fixed side steps, Half height luggage divider