Spare wheel security

All Discovery 5 related discussions
GeeBee

Post by GeeBee »

I currently have a discovery 4 and have had the spare wheel stolen twice - the suspension cable has, in both instances, been cut. Does anyone have view on the security of the discovery 5's spare.

vtaiwo

Post by vtaiwo »

The security on the LR Disco 5 is no better. Just had mine stolen and the cable was cut just like yours. I spoke to LR customer services who admit there is an issue but there are 2 solutions - pay for spare wheel and tyre cover or buy a security system. I responded that both solutions involve me spending even more money on what I feel is a product problem and lack of improvement from the previous model. Also, I have no recollection of the spare wheel and car tyre cover being offered and equally unaware that LR have a branded spare wheel and tyre security device. The replacement of the wheel, tyre and winch is over £1,000 and I am reluctant so shell out that kind of money whilst there is no improvement in security - spare wheel and tyre cover does not solve the problem and I am sure there is a limit to the number of claims anyway. Once the thieves know it is an easy steal (apparently it will take less than a 1 minute to cut winch and release wheel) then it is going to be a recurring issue as an easy target. I am waiting a response from LR customer services.
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

Read the other post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4121

It is not very expensive
Deleted User 523

Post by Deleted User 523 »

I've ordered a spare wheel cover for my Discovery which am getting hopefully 12th September it was £65 plus £16 pp. I hope that will prevent my wheel from being stolen
vtaiwo

Post by vtaiwo »

Thanks for the steer.
dionard

Post by dionard »

Hi, My D5 spare was stolen too.

Any admission of fault by LandRover? Has anyone had any luck getting a free replacement and repair?
Serenity

Post by Serenity »

Hi, no I spoke to the chap who sold us our car and his reaction was "that's life"!!!! Why didn't he forewarn us that this may happen and then we would have put on a security plate, sourced by ourselves probably for £100. As a result after our wheel was nicked we've replaced it with a good second hand spare, new winch because the original was cut and a secure cover plate courtesy of our local garage at a cost of £850. Land Rover wanted £1250. Please let me know if you have any luck with Land Rover if enough of us complain we may achieve something.
GeeBee

Post by GeeBee »

Av bit of late response on my part (apologies) When i had my first disco 4 spare stolen, some 4 or so weeks after i took delivery, LR did replace it as a warranty item. Second time they didn't want to know, but i did get a dealer discount of about £200 as 'good will'. My brother who also has a disco 4 wrote to LR and complained, he was assured that the problem was being addressed and would be 'fixed' on the Disco 5..... not holding my breath!
Arm

Post by Arm »

Contacted Ray yesterday (Sunday) and got immediate response from him at 07:00 - great service Ray..........arranged for a cover for next week.

Spickers

Post by Spickers »

Well there must be a worrying trend. I found hand marks at the back of my Discovery 5 at the weekend which was odd. Not sure how long those had been there but looked under the car and found a large hole where the spare was. My local dealer has quoted nearly £1,700 to replace the alloy, sensor, tyre and winch. That is ridiculous.

The alloys are the 22" style 5011. Does anyone know if the protector is good for these alloys too? Not sure if the wheel is too big for the protector to be effective.