Spare wheel security

Suggestions & Help using the Disco 5 Forums
GeeBee

Spare wheel security

Post by GeeBee » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:51 pm

I currently have a discovery 4 and have had the spare wheel stolen twice - the suspension cable has, in both instances, been cut. Does anyone have view on the security of the discovery 5's spare.

vtaiwo

Re: Spare wheel security

Post by vtaiwo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:40 am

The security on the LR Disco 5 is no better. Just had mine stolen and the cable was cut just like yours. I spoke to LR customer services who admit there is an issue but there are 2 solutions - pay for spare wheel and tyre cover or buy a security system. I responded that both solutions involve me spending even more money on what I feel is a product problem and lack of improvement from the previous model. Also, I have no recollection of the spare wheel and car tyre cover being offered and equally unaware that LR have a branded spare wheel and tyre security device. The replacement of the wheel, tyre and winch is over £1,000 and I am reluctant so shell out that kind of money whilst there is no improvement in security - spare wheel and tyre cover does not solve the problem and I am sure there is a limit to the number of claims anyway. Once the thieves know it is an easy steal (apparently it will take less than a 1 minute to cut winch and release wheel) then it is going to be a recurring issue as an easy target. I am waiting a response from LR customer services.

jimbg

Post by jimbg » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:27 am

Read the other post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4121

It is not very expensive

Chalkey

Post by Chalkey » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:16 pm

I've ordered a spare wheel cover for my Discovery which am getting hopefully 12th September it was £65 plus £16 pp. I hope that will prevent my wheel from being stolen
2.0 SE Indus silver, black pack, black roof rails, acorn leather, privacy, tow bar, drive pack, rear camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, mud flaps, door body moulding, and life shine.

vtaiwo

Post by vtaiwo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:13 am

Thanks for the steer.

Return to “Suggestions & Help”