Gearshift paddles

Forum for Land Rover Customer Relations
andrewe

Post by andrewe »

Reposted here just in case anyone from JLR is reading...

Anyone else had a gearshift paddle break off? I have a 2017 Discovery with the optional aluminium paddles, and on the motorway yesterday clicked the upshift one and the whole paddle assembly broke off - the plastic around the screw holding it to the steering wheel had failed. :o

As if that not scary enough while changing lane at 70mph :shock: , the detached paddle on its cable flapped around and then wedged behind the steering wheel, making it hard to steer. Fortunately got into lane 1 and then into a refuge area, where I was able to unplug the cable and detach the paddle completely. Now my heart's stopped racing, can't replace it as plastic is gone so no way of reattaching it.

£300-odd for the parts, or £420 inc labour - doing up two screws, it seems – but dealer can't do a 'while you wait' until July 8th. Have badgered them into looking at it tomorrow, but they didn't seem too keen! May have to get the parts and do it myself - will be interested to see whether or not I'll be asked to pay for the bits.

Hmmm...

CRC@LandRover

Post by CRC@LandRover »

andrewe wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:08 am Reposted here just in case anyone from JLR is reading...

Anyone else had a gearshift paddle break off? I have a 2017 Discovery with the optional aluminium paddles, and on the motorway yesterday clicked the upshift one and the whole paddle assembly broke off - the plastic around the screw holding it to the steering wheel had failed. :o

As if that not scary enough while changing lane at 70mph :shock: , the detached paddle on its cable flapped around and then wedged behind the steering wheel, making it hard to steer. Fortunately got into lane 1 and then into a refuge area, where I was able to unplug the cable and detach the paddle completely. Now my heart's stopped racing, can't replace it as plastic is gone so no way of reattaching it.

£300-odd for the parts, or £420 inc labour - doing up two screws, it seems – but dealer can't do a 'while you wait' until July 8th. Have badgered them into looking at it tomorrow, but they didn't seem too keen! May have to get the parts and do it myself - will be interested to see whether or not I'll be asked to pay for the bits.

Hmmm...
Good Morning Andrewe

Thank you for your post.

I am deeply concerned to learn of your recent experience, please may I request that you send me the following information via PM:

Your Vehicle Identification Number
Your Personal Contact details

Once I have received this information I will be happy to assist you with your concerns.

Many Thanks

Dan - Land Rover UK
andrewe

Post by andrewe »

Dan

Sent

A