Spare wheel theft

Forum for Land Rover Customer Relations
jon bradley

Spare wheel theft

Post by jon bradley » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:02 am

On my 2017 discovery, I discovered that the cable holding the spare wheel had been cut by persons unknown, and the spare /wheel/tyre had been taken, only found out when I had a puncture and of course required the spare. According to many sources Jaguar/Landrover are well aware of this design fault/issue in that the actual cable is exposed and vulnerable to theft, and that many thefts have indeed taken place over some time, and been reported back to the manufacturers without so far any indication of modification

A security plate is available from other sources to minimise this risk, but at point of vehicle sale no advice is indicated or offered despite the knowledge by the manufacturer or its agents of a weakness in the security of the vehicle parts and or accessories. This means in layman terms that despite the knowledge by the suppliers that a reported security problem exists, means that an essential safety item can be stolen, no rectification, modification, improvement is indicated,, meaning that the loss, if any is all yours, ie currently over £1000.

In offering a vehicle and its accessories for sale, the suppliers have a duty of care to inform buyers of any proven fault or issue, so that rectification may take place, and in allowing a proven fault to exist for a number of years indicates a cavalier attitude and irresponsibility that beggars belief . If any others wish to take this further, please advise me. Security of a vehicle and its accessories lies with an owner in protection of his vehicle and any insurance claim, to minimise theft. Jaguar/Landrover in leaving an open door to theft by failing to rectify a proven fault are jointly and severally liable for any claim for loss

jimbg

Re: Spare wheel theft

Post by jimbg » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:40 am

There is now a plate from JLR, check on Topix for info.

Title N071v4 - Loss of Spare Wheel

Global reference N071v4

Navigation path Bulletins Field Actions

Publication date 03-May-2018 06:38:46

CRC@LandRover

Re: Spare wheel theft

Post by CRC@LandRover » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:10 pm

jon bradley wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:02 am
On my 2017 discovery, I discovered that the cable holding the spare wheel had been cut by persons unknown, and the spare /wheel/tyre had been taken, only found out when I had a puncture and of course required the spare. According to many sources Jaguar/Landrover are well aware of this design fault/issue in that the actual cable is exposed and vulnerable to theft, and that many thefts have indeed taken place over some time, and been reported back to the manufacturers without so far any indication of modification

A security plate is available from other sources to minimise this risk, but at point of vehicle sale no advice is indicated or offered despite the knowledge by the manufacturer or its agents of a weakness in the security of the vehicle parts and or accessories. This means in layman terms that despite the knowledge by the suppliers that a reported security problem exists, means that an essential safety item can be stolen, no rectification, modification, improvement is indicated,, meaning that the loss, if any is all yours, ie currently over £1000.

In offering a vehicle and its accessories for sale, the suppliers have a duty of care to inform buyers of any proven fault or issue, so that rectification may take place, and in allowing a proven fault to exist for a number of years indicates a cavalier attitude and irresponsibility that beggars belief . If any others wish to take this further, please advise me. Security of a vehicle and its accessories lies with an owner in protection of his vehicle and any insurance claim, to minimise theft. Jaguar/Landrover in leaving an open door to theft by failing to rectify a proven fault are jointly and severally liable for any claim for loss
Hi jon bradley,

Thank you for your post.

I am deeply sorry to learn of this and can confirm your comments have been forwarded to the relevant department.

If I can assist in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks,

Chand - Land Rover UK

Return to “Land Rover Customer Relations”