Help! leaking roof, 2018 Disco

Forum for Land Rover Customer Relations
spark

Post by spark »

Chiming in here in solidarity. 2016 Discovery Sport with JLR independent inspector confirming manufacturing fault open seam allowing water to enter above A-pillar at front end of roof rail trim. Problem noticed prior to first scheduled service with water leaking through the A-Pillar Upper Area (front left/right of roof) and into the passenger compartment since dealer delivery 29-Jun-2016. JLR have offered to apply some sealant to fill the bodywork to plug the car against future rain. Offer rejected and lemon vehicle remains in my possession. “Above and beyond” contempt considering purported luxury SUV marketing spin.

Problem remained undiagnosable for past 7 years including wrongly diagnosed as leak from windscreen, charged $$ to replace it, problem continued leaking. Body workshops will not attempt repair as now out of warranty. Nice work JLR.

Found the problem myself in Oct-2023 via another forum after JLR couldn't. The problem is described in “ Jaguar Land Rover Technical Bulletin LTB01176 Water Ingress Through The A-Pillar - Upper Area, published 29-Mar-2018 as “caused by certain body panels being manufactured away from the required specification”. Took 2 years to fix the problem in the Halewood factory, but during the 5 years since publication, JLR annual service dealerships weren’t capable of typing VIN no. SALCA2AC5GH585841 into Topix to link my vehicle to this bulletin, - insert slapped face emoji and a lemon fruit emoji. Or they have, but fobbed me off until well out of warranty it seems to me.

See attached photos of water ingress stains on the ceiling between front passenger grab handles and top of the windscreen taken in March 2023.

Ongoing water ingress remains with existing but not yet developed or manifest damage, or damage that is existing but hidden. Damage that could have both structural (rust) and electrical (corrosion) implications that may present serious safety, financial, and operational consequences ahead.

IMG_2652.jpeg

IMG_2651.jpeg

IMG_2649.jpeg

IMG_2647.jpeg

IMG_2646.jpeg

IMG_2645.jpeg

IMG_2644.jpeg

IMG_2643.jpeg

IMG_2642.jpeg

IMG_2641.jpeg

spark

Post by spark »

I have the same problem with MY2016 Discovery Sport - roof leaking (no sunroof). Started occurring after dealer delivery (before first service). Multiple failed inspections including pointless replacement of windscreen.

The cause is as outlined in JLR LTB01176 Technical Bulletin Water Ingress Through the A Pillar - Upper Area, published 29-Mar-2018. Known manufacturing fault - water ingress stains on the ceiling between front passenger grab handles and top of the windscreen, caused by certain body panels being manufactured away from the required specification.

Going through consumer tribunal ATM to get car replaced with new or used vehicle of same or higher specs, with max. km based on calculated km travelled (from annual service statements) either side of 29-Mar-2018, being the date of issue of Jaguar Land Rover Technical Bulletin LTB01176. :roll:
ankur

Post by ankur »

Does anyone know what Land Rover are doing to resolve the issue? Are they welding the part that has a crack, or replacing the cracked component? Wouldn't liquid gasket sealant do the trick? I've seen a lot of Discovery 5 cars up for sale with similar issues!