Help! leaking roof, 2018 Disco

Forum for Land Rover Customer Relations
mktmkt007

Post by mktmkt007 »

Hello all, new member here from across the pond, just bought 2018 discovery HSE on Jan 15th from a dealer in Maryland USA.. I live in Virginia. The 2nd week the car developed leak in roof, 2nd row, drivers side. The left and middle 2nd row seats are ruined, leather warped, headliner etc. Contacted maryland dealer (whom i bought it from) who has not lifted finger to help in any way/shape/form. Told me to either take to local LR dealer or can wait till FEB 24 for appt! ( 3 weeks later). I had no choice but to take to local dealer, They have had it 10 days and still cant diagnose the problem (their words) and want to replace the sunroof, track mechanism etc and they 'think' that should fix it. They haven;t even addressed the seats., headliner, looked for mold etc. I suspect this will take another week or 2 to fix and then who knows how long to get new seats etc.... is this a lemon? (or soon to be). Won't the water damage + structural defect affect resale value? This is my first land rover and I am very disappointed in the customer service and lack of knowledge by the service dept. I understand manufacturing defects occur, I get it, no product is 100% QC, but how a LUXURY company deals with it is what sets them apart from other companies. Ive already called LR USA in Jersey, they have a case file blah blah blah, but all they are doing is giving me updates which I can get from the service dept....
any advise, tips, or recs would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
A formerly excited-to-finally-have-a-Rover customer

thank you kindly

jimbg

Post by jimbg »

I would reject it if it was me and ask for an new car.
rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

Me too!

If it were me i'd park the car outside the front of the LR dealership!

A car thats only just over a month old, i'd expect to have the dealership prioritise sorting this out. Don't take any excuses!
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

I would reject also. If its less than 30 days old you dont have to accept a repair. Well thats the case in the uk. After 30 days they get 1 chance to put it right if they fail you can then reject. It must also be done within a reasonable time frame. Avcept things maybe different for you. Really disappointed for you. Good luck
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
mktmkt007

Post by mktmkt007 »

Thanks for the advice. I wish it was as simple as that. Over here, each state has different laws regarding how many attempts to repair (usually at least 3), the time you are out of the vehicle, is it structural or not etc...I wish it was like in the UK, <30 days, get a new car, period. Im trying to raise hell here but my complaints fall on deaf ears....
Thx
MKT
rogersmj

Post by rogersmj »

I guess the only way you could go, is to threaten to go to the papers and car magazines?

I had a friend here in the UK who had some problems with the build quality of a BMW M4 he'd bought from new. All the dealership was interested in was whether or not the car drove and just told him that he just needed to book it in to be looked at.

Anyway he made a few calls around and turned up at the dealership with 2 people from the local newpaper! The dealership took the car there and then, gave him a loan car for 3 days and got the problems fixed.

Not sure it would work that way in the USA, but maybe worth telling the dealership you intend to contact the papers?

Just an idea i'm throwing out there.
Hopkinste

Post by Hopkinste »

I have a 2017 Disco that just started leaking. The dealer said that it is likely the sunroof drains that are clogged.....very frustrating as the interior is saturated
jimbg

Post by jimbg »

The most common cause is a leaking windscreen, I have suffered from that along with many others.
CRC@LandRover

Post by CRC@LandRover »

Hopkinste wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:47 pm I have a 2017 Disco that just started leaking. The dealer said that it is likely the sunroof drains that are clogged.....very frustrating as the interior is saturated
Good Morning Hopkinste

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to learn of your comments. This is not the experience we wish for our customers to have.

Should you require any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me via PM with the following information:

Your Vehicle Identification Number
Your Personal Contact Details
The details of the retailer you have been in contact with

Many Thanks

Dan - Land Rover UK
Hopkinste

Post by Hopkinste »

The dealer in the US said the leak was at the top of the windshield. They replaced the windshield and carpets. It sounds like this should be a recall. Some sort of bad sealant was used