Breakdown of 3 week old Disco 5 with 1500 on clock!

Forum for Land Rover Customer Relations
Mike Wallace

Post by Mike Wallace »

Took delivery of our Discovery 5 end of Sept. It was bought to take us and 3dogs to our house in the south of Spain. Started journey Sunday 23rd from Scotland. Stayed 1st night in York 2nd night Calais 3rd night Salleboeuf. Left the hotel this morning at 8am 4 mins later a bang was heard the car just revved up and wouldn't take gears or drive. The gear box is obviously gone. :o :o Managed to get it back to hotel by driving slowly still not changing gears. Phone landrover assist who got breakdown truck within 2hrs luckily we were back at hotel with all luggage for a 4month trip and 3dogs. They have taken all day to organise a taxi to take us to Bilboa which is a 3 he drive at least tomorrow to pick up a wait for it Mini Bus from Hertz for us to keep for a week as the Land Rover dealership in Bordeaux can't look at our Discovery till next week!!!
They will only pay for our hotel tonight no food and we have to pay the insurance for the minibus ourselves . They are refusing to pay for it!
Then land rover phoned us to say keep the 3 dogs hidden from Hertz ????? after being assured this afternoon that Hertz New about us having dogs.
If we were in UK we would have handed the car back but in a very difficult position here.
We feel we are now abandoned in France to try and sort things out. We were also asked at one point to try and find a hire car ourselves??
Just wanted other owners to know how you are treated in Europe with a breakdown.
Service is shocking . We paid £55000 3weeks ago and now have no car. My advice to anyone thinking of purchasing a land rover is DON'T buy an Audi instead.

HSEMY18

Post by HSEMY18 »

Hope they sort out your car promptly and sounds like you have received very poor service from Land Rover assist :x
Ian c

Post by Ian c »

Hi you have my most depest sympathy.

I purchased my disco in march then headed to spain unlike you we made trip down no problem but when bits started falling off bumper switches for seats window scrapers flying off took it to jag landrover in taragona who could not have been more unhelpful were not interested in the least all we got was take it back to England but as we had another 6 weeks of our extended holiday were very unhappy and landrover assistance never bothers returning our calls . Years earlier we had a e class merc used when when we bought it couldn't have been more helpful they recovered our car and twin axel caravan from the piraneas delivered caravan to a camp site 80 miles away toward our destination and took car to nearest merc dealer without any issues even offerd to pay either campsite or hotel bill landrover cant even return a call .
That said love my disco 5 but landrover poor company but what can you expect its built in England 😓
CRC@LandRover

Post by CRC@LandRover »

Mike Wallace wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:23 pm Took delivery of our Discovery 5 end of Sept. It was bought to take us and 3dogs to our house in the south of Spain. Started journey Sunday 23rd from Scotland. Stayed 1st night in York 2nd night Calais 3rd night Salleboeuf. Left the hotel this morning at 8am 4 mins later a bang was heard the car just revved up and wouldn't take gears or drive. The gear box is obviously gone. :o :o Managed to get it back to hotel by driving slowly still not changing gears. Phone landrover assist who got breakdown truck within 2hrs luckily we were back at hotel with all luggage for a 4month trip and 3dogs. They have taken all day to organise a taxi to take us to Bilboa which is a 3 he drive at least tomorrow to pick up a wait for it Mini Bus from Hertz for us to keep for a week as the Land Rover dealership in Bordeaux can't look at our Discovery till next week!!!
They will only pay for our hotel tonight no food and we have to pay the insurance for the minibus ourselves . They are refusing to pay for it!
Then land rover phoned us to say keep the 3 dogs hidden from Hertz ????? after being assured this afternoon that Hertz New about us having dogs.
If we were in UK we would have handed the car back but in a very difficult position here.
We feel we are now abandoned in France to try and sort things out. We were also asked at one point to try and find a hire car ourselves??
Just wanted other owners to know how you are treated in Europe with a breakdown.
Service is shocking . We paid £55000 3weeks ago and now have no car. My advice to anyone thinking of purchasing a land rover is DON'T buy an Audi instead.
Good afternoon Mike Wallace,

Thank you for your post.

I am deeply sorry to learn of your concerns.

Should there be anything I can assist with, please do not hesitate to PM me with your vehicle and contact details.

Thanks,
Amellia
Ian c

Post by Ian c »

I have to totally agree European assistance is absolutely rubbish.
Hrex

Post by Hrex »

I have had some beginners issues with my 3L d HSE lux, but I must say that my experience with Land Rover has been excellent. That includes sending a truck 200km into the highlands to collect my car and bringing me a new one so I could continue my travels with the family. So I’m very happy with the service.
Heatherhound

Post by Heatherhound »

I had the same experience as you when the engine blew up in my 18month old Disco5 . Aa of Spain Left me and my dog to sort my own accommodation and get myself home
Now dealer Hatfields tells me it’s the risk you take buying JLR when I wanted a 3 yr warranty on the new engine
I’m DEFINITELY NEVER buying JLR ever again