Electrics failure & Windscreen leak

Forum for Land Rover Customer Relations
Guido

Post by Guido »

2017 HSE. One of the first off the production line and windscreen started leaking after 12 months. By chance met another owner with identical problem. Windscreen was supposed to be removed and replaced and re sealed. 2 months ago (December 2021) after we returned from holiday. Insurance disc holder on passenger side had filled up with water, passenger footwell saturated and water had poured all over the centre console where, of course, the air suspension controls are sited. Then air suspension completely failed. I am therefore wondering whether water ingress into the electrics / centre console could have caused the air suspension failure? Would anyone have a view on that?
Now about to enter a fight with the dealer in Jersey CI over the cost of re-sealing the windscreen - it is a material design defect and therefore a breach of contract as it was not fit for purpose in the first place. I am a retired lawyer with time on my hands so will just plough on with legal proceedings and keep the forum updated but would be interested to hear thoughts on water ingress and air-suspension failure.

Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Hi Guido yes seen plenty of reports on this (leaking windscreen not failed electrics as such but unless these switches are rated for external use it's not such a stretch to link the two). Have you looked on more popular D5 sites for similar? I'm the owner of a early 2017 model and live in dread of this and yes please keep us updated.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
markwainwright

Post by markwainwright »

Hi all - my Disco has started leaking too! Solihull Land Rover dealers don't really want to help! Just said take it through your car insurance and get a new screen!!

Surely this can't be right?

Has anyone done a simple repair with silicone?
ianshears

Post by ianshears »

I have a 2017 HSE Lux, the windscreen was replaced in 2019 due to water leaking into the headlining and down into the footwells,the seats and carpets removed to dry it out,then only weeks later the carpets where wet again,back in it went,they said the leaks where from the windscreen pillars where the outside pillar trims had not been removed or refitted correctly by the screen fitters,which left holes in the pillars exposed to water ingress!,I think they bodged the fix because heavy rain recently has filled the footwells again,I'm now about to do battle with local dealer to decide who's liable to pay for this!!But once again the Land Rover brand let's itself down, a £70000 vehicle that LEAKS!!
BLOS

Post by BLOS »

I have a 2018 HSE with same Water Leak issue . Dripping from console around mirror and also showing damp spots above sun visor on passenger side. Car only had standard 3 year warranty so is out. Called JLR Aberdeen who has completed last three services per service plan. No surprise that they were non comital regarding this being a know fault. Earliest they can look t the car is 6 weeks away.

Has anyone been successful on getting JLR to cover any of the cost outside standard warranty term?

Thanks
Gjn074

Post by Gjn074 »

I had the same problem - 2020 on an 18 plate HSE. Was under warranty period however they said it didn’t cover windscreen seals. They priced it up with replacing carpet etc at £2k and as a gesture of “goodwill” funded 80% and I had to contribute 20%.

Explained in 35 years of motoring I have never had this sort of issue and it fell on deaf ears.

I have had all sorts of other issues with my vehicle - the components used are cheap and low quality in my view until you have to replace them then they charge you extortionate prices
Richard2023

Post by Richard2023 »

I have a 2017 Discovery SE (no sunroof) and my windscreen is leaking from above the interior mirror - pool of water in the centre console and drivers seat. This seems to be a common problem and Landrover issued several technical bulletins in the USA (can be found online). I am taking my car back to the supplying dealer where I bought it brand new and will be advising them that I am claiming under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 that the car is clearly not of satisfactory quality - a windscreen should last the life of a the car as it is part of the structure unless it is damaged. As such the Dealer has to put this right at no charge. Under the Act a claim can be made up to 6 years from the date the car was sold and the claim is against the seller (not Land Rover).

If others have had similar problems it would be helpful to know as the more people who raise this the greater the evidence that is available should Land Rover refute any claim.
Cutleryman

Post by Cutleryman »

And another one to add to the list. Our Discovery 5 2018 sprang a leak on Saturday night from the top centre of the windscreen, water all through the headlining and all over the centre console.

We mopped it up as best we could and a couple of hours took it out. On the way back, warning messages galore, eg stability function not operational but the main one was a gearbox fault that meant you couldn't select any gear and the rotary gear select was raised but couldn't be turned.

The AA were called and the chap who turned up said it was a very common fault and well known. Car relayed to local LR dealership (Conwy) as my normal dealership (Hatfields Liverpool) had no availability until at least end of Feb. Both dealerships claimed no knowledge of any common fault to do with windscreen leak. I also spoke to a chap who is an ex-main dealer technician of 20+ years and he said it is a common known fault and advised that the dealership deal with it.

So it is now awaiting someone to look at it but I dread to think what their bill will be as it is clearly affecting all of the electrics too and the car is useless at the current time. Hence any help from anyone re technical bulletins, etc would be much appreciated and also I'm happy to join in with others if we can get some action through weight of numbers..... Ian
Richard2023

Post by Richard2023 »

Don't forget that you have powerful rights under the Consumer Rights Act - make sure that you notify the Supplying dealer who you sold the car to you. It is their responsibility to fix it. Thanks for your post it will be very helpful for my claim.
Cutleryman

Post by Cutleryman »

I can only assume the dealers have to 'not admit' to knowing of any similar faults having happened in the past. When collecting some items from our Discovery whilst it was in the dealers, one of the technicians (behnidn the scenes) commented 'we see a lot of them and have to take the carpets and seats out to dry them out and pointed the two sets that were drying at the time. Then today whilst I was in for an update, initially I was the only customer in the delership and whilst waiting for the chap to come back with details of mine, a lady came in behind me and when the service agent asked what was the issue, the lady said that water had started coming through the roof lining of her Discovery - "I haven't heard of that before" was the service agent's response. I turned around, apologised for eavesdropping and said that my Discovery was in for the same reason, there were at least two others in at the current time and this was a very common fault that is being reported by many many owners and gave her my card if she wanted to take it further...... There must be something we can all do with this both legally and also through the media to shame Land Rover surely?