Stalling Ingenium

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
Benford

Post by Benford »

Hi there,
First post - so be gentle.
2018 Disco 5 HSE Lux 2.0D - ex-management, fully serviced at Land Rover MK and Coventry, 39,000 miles, oil changed every year as a precaution. Great vehicle, when it works...

Currently:

It stalls in reverse when the AC is on. Has anyone else experienced this?

Other current faults include leaking front windscreen - a known issue with the bonding I believe - waiting for LR to confirm they'll replace (it's out of warranty by 3 months)

Harveststar

Post by Harveststar »

Hi
I had very similar issue, mine wouldn’t idle very smooth when cold it would hunt and then a few weeks later I went from reverse to drive and it would stall it would do this a few times when it was cold but ok when hot, I then noticed oil spots on the garage floor and when I looked in the engine bay there was oil all around the left side of the engine, it was recovered to the main dealer to be diagnosed with engine failure, I should imagine yours will be the same.
One thing I have noticed which I think is a sign of failure is when driving say at 50mph the engine would feel like it’s struggling and was always better when it would be in a lower gear but being an auto they always want to change to the higher gear, since the new engine it drives a lot smoother.
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

Hi

Not wishing to scare you but please get the issue investigated. My 17 plate HSE started stalling when backing out of my drive, struggled to draw away at times at junctions (scary) and a couple of months later resulted in a critical oil warning light ( only needed less than a litre to get oil back to top marker on dip stick. Called recovery and got a local garage to do diagnostics to look for error codes, none found. Contacted my usual main dealer, they offered to take car in but couldn’t do even the diagnostics for two weeks as they had a few similar cases waiting. Put into an independent garage to strip and report with photo evidence. Car needs new block, crank, pistons oil pump and turbo. Should be back next week (6 weeks off road). Found out this week that when I bought it second hand in January 2019, lookers were delaying collection telling me that it was in the prep and paint shop getting it ready. Pushing a JLR source this week revealed that having paid my money and waiting for paint shop to finish touch ups (which I naively agreed to) they were actually changing the balance shafts and no one had the decency to tell me.

Now going to have to go head to head over Consumer Rights Act 2015 unless JLR and Lookers settle amicably. I have reasonable evidence that they have both withheld information from me which prevented me having the opportunity to pull out of the purchase.

Tread carefully and keep records of everything, look for catches and record everything in writing.
I was given the chat that JLR support their customers financially, the only exclusions being no contribution to labour cost, must be genuine JLR parts and work has to be done by a main dealer. I had told them that I had to use an independent for the reasons noted above. They want a full report from the independent before they will approach technical for consideration. At best part of £10k, it is probably still less than I would have paid if JLR funded 40% through main dealer.
Edo

Post by Edo »

Hi, I bought my disco 5 SD4 new in 2017. First engine failed after 33.000 miles (it all started by stalling in several occasions). Second engine just failed after further 20.000 miles. Please see my post. SD4 240bhp not fit for purpose. Can we all get together and take legal actio