New Rear End Noise

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery 5
MikeyG48

Post by MikeyG48 »

My Discovery 5 300 has started making a noise from the rear. Road speed related, doesn't go away on braking, seems to be left rear but obviously extremely difficult to pin down. Also worse when cold (ambient).

Sounds like wheel bearing but there's only 4500 miles on the clock.

Anyone else had similar issues? It's going to the retailer for investigation next week but any steers as to what it might be would be helpful.

Thanks

Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Heard of people having trouble with the diff. A oil change seems to help.
Possible similar problem.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
Craigp

Post by Craigp »

Wouldn't except link here's what it said.

Hi, I took my 2018 Td6 HSE into Barbagallo in Perth today for them to diagnose an intermittent clunking sound from the rear drivetrain.
Plugged in the diagnostic stuff and got a code that lead them to the attached photo of a LR Topix notice.
They upgraded the relevant transmission and rear differential locker software, reset and checked everything; and told me to drive the car for 500 to 1000 kms and see if it recalibrates.
I can now notice a “gentler and quieter” clunking and certainly not as bad.
I will keep this post updated over time / kms and let you know how I go.
I have seen others on this site also with a variety of experiences with rear differential clunking.
Barbagallo were very good, gave me a new hybrid baby Discovery for the day; and asked me to call them either way in a week, and as I progressed to 500 and 1000 kms.
Barbagallo said if the software upgrade doesn’t work, then bring it back and they will get the spanners out!
PS. Still under warranty and only done 38,000kms when it started.
3litre SE. Monticello Red. Electric deployable tow bar.
Stankool

Post by Stankool »

I had the same problem .
Lr Could not find the issue or reason for the thud.
It is the calibration of the transfer box clutches.I got a "IIdtool" from Gap Diagnostics £ 500 and fixed the issue myself It took less than 30 seconds to re calibrate the box ,the tool is fantastic for everything .LR should know this but they dont .
There is aprox 30 ECU s. on the discovery 5. and you can monitor all of them .